Electrickery - alternator fault?

Greeks

Went out to get a takeaway tonight. 8 miles or so 50 mph, lights on.

All the way home the red ignition light stayed on.

Belt's nice and tight, lights not dimming under any condition.

Battery is about 3 months old - direct replacement for the previous which lasted about 8 years. Checked last week and water levels were spot on.

ALternator's only 5 years old ... but sounds like it could be kaput.

Any thoughts?

Are the 15AC (I think) alternator's repairable in any way?

MikeyB wrote:
did you measure the voltage?  Should be 14.5 ish accross the battery with engine running.

If voltage still good, maybe diode gone in alternator

God no ... wasn't gonna let the Thai food get cold  ;D

... but i'll check in the morning - cheers.

The battery has one of those windows (green light for good, etc) and it didn't show green, so presumably not charging  :-/

Original Lucas good for 25+ year (so much for prince of darkness reputation) anything rebuilt with cheap Taiwanese diode pack - you were lucky to get more than 2 years - solution? Understand diode specs and get something aerospace grade ( probably ?3 rather than 3p)
If you work it out please enlighten us!

Hello Greeks,

I never bother with 15ACr repairs except for a quick check on the brushes, (easy and cheap repair) as they are so cheap on exchamge. (Well they were last time i got one which is a few years ago0
Funnily that showed a dull ignition light but the voltmeter was way past 15V so it was overcharging. (Not good for the battery).

Alec

This morning's diagnosis says 13 volts - no light at idle, but comes on as revs go up.

Nick - am I right in thinking I'll need a different bracket for a Bosch? And some cunning wiring (don't read that too quickly)?

It's typical, I rarely NEED the car these days, and the day I book it in for window tinting - this Tuesday - the bloody thing has a problem.

OK - anyone know what straight forward replacement I can source and put on fairly quickly?  ;D

... and I'd like the moon on a stick too, please?

Hello Greeks,

yes, the outer brush is running much faster than the inner (I know the brush is static but you get what I mean?). The important thing is sufficient length to have pressure on the slip rings, if they have then they are OK.

Alec

PS you should have about 14.5 volts charging.

Hi Alec

Yes, makes sense the outer would wear that much faster. Not sure how I tell if it's making contact though...

Only got 13 volts charging, so that's clearly wrong.

EDIT: the tippex test shows contact is being made. So I guess that rules the brushes out.

piman wrote:
Hello Greeks,

it must have pressure, not just contact?  (When I did maintenance on industrial machines we used a spring balance to check brush spring pressure)

Alec

Hmmm, not sure I can figure that out very easily ... and anyway I would have thought brush or spring failure would have been gradual rather than sudden.

I'll see what my options are tomorrow, I've no idea how easy / expensive Lucas parts will be here.  

Hello Greeks,

judge by the length above the mounting face, brushes are about a fiver I believe? I don't know if there is some scope to pull the brush out a bit to stretch the spring and try again. If it still doesn't charge, forget the brushes it's something else. As I said I wouldn't bother fiddling anymore if it's not the brushes.
I've two cars that have 15ACRs with about twenty years running between them and only one alternator failure.

Alec

I was guessing at 15 ACR  ... it's actually 17 ACR being a '78 model of course.

The original lasted at least 100,000 km, and this one's only made half that.

Sticker shows it's a Lucas boxed http://www.baxters.com.au/ reconditioned model ... all looks nice and new inside, but I guess it's just cheap components  >:(

To be fair I recall when I bought it it was half the price of all the other Lucas alternators in town, so "you gets what you pay for."

Greeks wrote:
Well the first place I called suggested a Lucas NAB 300 is a direct swap and 65A ... as long as you get the right handed one.

The web says these are fitted to Range Rover Classics to '94 and Disco / Defender 200tdi models.

If I recall, that is quite a large unit. They also have an extra diode pack (in star formation?) to run the tacho.

Ordered 9am, delivered to my office ~4pm (delivery cost 10 quid).

Not bad considering it came 80 miles and the local auto electrics stockists claimed there were no Lucas stockists in Australia now  ;D

For the record it's slightly shallower than the 17ACR as it doesn't have the black moulding at the back.

Weighs about the same though  :(

Main thing is it was a straight swap.

Archived