Breaking Spitfire 1500

Amy Wade

Hi peeps, 

I'm in the process of breaking a Spitfire 1500 & I'm offering most bits for sale to any reasonable offer.

The tub is well on its way to reverting to its natural state & is beyond economic repair, as is the drivers door.

The bonnet is scabby but no holes (not sure if holes would appear if the scabs were poked). It's probably salvageable, I've seen worse on cars that are on the road. 

The boot lid isn't holed but there is rust on the inner structure & there are loose flakes inside, again I don't think it's beyond repair. 

The passenger door skin has a scab on the front bottom corner & a dent in the middle, the main structure of the door is really solid with just some minor rust, it's definitely salvageable either by fixing the existing skin or fitting a new skin.

All I'm looking for is the price of a drink for any of the bits, I'm not going to try to be greedy, if there’s any little bits for a spitfire you need PM me & if it's available & usable we can sort something out. Collection from Oxfordshire for all the big bits, can sort post any little bits. 

I'd rather as much of the car is used to keep others on the road but I can't keep the big bits for long & will end up scrapped if no one asks for them. 

Edited by Amy Wade
Fixing spellchecker changes...

1 hour ago, Amy Wade said:

Hi peeps, 

I'm in the process of breaking a Spitfire 1500 & I'm offering most bits for sale to any reasonable offer.

The tub is well on its way to reverting to its natural state & is beyond economic repair, as is the drivers door.

The bonnet is scabby but no holes (not sure if holes would appear if the scabs were poked). It's probably salvageable, I've seen worse on cars that are on the road. 

The boot lid isn't holed but there is rust on the inner structure & there are loose flakes inside, again I don't think it's beyond repair. 

The passenger door skin has a scrap on the front bottom corner & a dent in the middle, the main structure of the door is really solid with just some minor rust, it's definitely salvageable either by fixing the existing skin or fitting a new skin.

All I'm looking for is the price of a drink for any of the bits, I'm not going to try to be greedy, if there’s any little bits for a spitfire you need PM me & if it's available & usable we can sort something out. Collection from Oxfordshire for all the big bits, can sort post any little bits. 

I'd rather as much of the car is used to keep others on the road but I can't keep the big bits for long & will end up scrapped if no one asks for them. 

Hi Amy

Don't suppose you have any door cappings at all? I'll have a think if there is anything else and let you know if that's OK? I've got a MK3 so having to think what I need and what will therefore cross over.

Thanks

Matthew

47 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Hi Amy

Don't suppose you have any door cappings at all? I'll have a think if there is anything else and let you know if that's OK? I've got a MK3 so having to think what I need and what will therefore cross over.

Thanks

Matthew

Hi Matthew, 

I'm sorry to say there are no door cappings on the doors 😒

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

I don't suppose you have a driver's side seat squab (the bit you sit on)? Condition not important as I'm only really after the wire frame bit to fit new foam and cover on.

Sorry, I should have said that I had bought the car for the seats and overdrive gearbox/prop/diff.

13 minutes ago, Clive said:

Late ones do, an inflexible plastic/vinyl which is NLA. Suppliers well a bit of vinyl leathercloth to stick in place, but it just isn't quite right. 

My Mk3 has vinyl on the doors above the door cards & as far as I know it's all original (at least it's falling apart like it's 52 years old)

7 hours ago, Amy Wade said:

My Mk3 has vinyl on the doors above the door cards & as far as I know it's all original (at least it's falling apart like it's 52 years old)

Ah, I wasn't sure about earlier cars. Just looked at the canleys site with the helpful factory drawings, it clearly has a vinyl capping for mk3 spit (but no part number available) however not on the mk1/2. Maybe it changed with the introduction of the later door lock or waited for the mk3, no idea.

Anyway, as you were.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Ah, I wasn't sure about earlier cars.

I'm not entirely sure either. Mk1 doors had painted metal, Mk3 definitely had the vinyl. My brother's Mk2 also had the vinyl when he bought it. My guess would be it was added for Mk2, because there were other interior trim improvements then.

22 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

I'm not entirely sure either. Mk1 doors had painted metal, Mk3 definitely had the vinyl. My brother's Mk2 also had the vinyl when he bought it. My guess would be it was added for Mk2, because there were other interior trim improvements then.

Was that a twisty door handle car?

No, it was a 1966 one, so a relatively late Mk2.

You may be right on the twisty handle but since the door lock change only affected the outer skin and not the door frame, and because the presence of a bit of vinyl makes no difference to that, I suspect the trim change would have been more likely to have happened when other interior trim changes were happening. Didn't Mk1 cars have rubber mats an no carpets?

2 hours ago, RobPearce said:

No, it was a 1966 one, so a relatively late Mk2.

You may be right on the twisty handle but since the door lock change only affected the outer skin and not the door frame, and because the presence of a bit of vinyl makes no difference to that, I suspect the trim change would have been more likely to have happened when other interior trim changes were happening. Didn't Mk1 cars have rubber mats an no carpets?

Are you sure about it only being the skin? I thought the frame and B posts were different too.

Yes, mk1 rubber mats.

Certainly different lock mechanism and I think you're right about detail changes to the B-post to accommodate that. The door frame may also have needed a small change, I've not compared them that closely, but I thought it didn't. Still, my point remains that any such changes would be less likely to affect the finish on the bits that definitely didn't change than a general "up-trimming" of the whole interior would.

On 29/07/2022 at 08:29, RobPearce said:

I bought my first `69 MK3 Spit from a car showroom in 1973 near Doncaster , and it only had painted cappings, no vinyl. As is my current. Maybe during the `efficient` assembly years, they probably just sent them down the line if they had run out of stock!

Spitfire Romney.jpg

Edited by Velocita Rosso

49 minutes ago, Amy Wade said:

This thread seems to have veered off at a tangent...

Does anyone want bits from the car before it finds its way to becoming bean cans?

Not really ..its trying to establish whether people would be buying the right bits

It might have been better to post this origination on the Parts Sales and Wants section under specific headings 

Advertising Officer CT

Edited by Velocita Rosso

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Amy, I'm probably late to the 'party', but wondered if you had any running gear parts from this Spittie? By that I mean suspension and steering parts and not engine/gearbox.

I have just bought a decent 1500 (1972) bare chassis, and want to start to build it up as the basis for a 'special', so could use any bits which help it 'roll'!

Cheers,

Steve Bonner

4 hours ago, Steve Bonner said:

Amy, I'm probably late to the 'party', but wondered if you had any running gear parts from this Spittie? By that I mean suspension and steering parts and not engine/gearbox.

I have just bought a decent 1500 (1972) bare chassis, and want to start to build it up as the basis for a 'special', so could use any bits which help it 'roll'!

Cheers,

Steve Bonner

Sorry Steve, the car went a long time ago & I don't have any parts left from it.