Dorian

I took my MK11 PI for its mot yesterday, which it failed but only for brake discs. I'm not too bothered about that, just a reason to upgrade the brakes, but on the way back the car stalled at the lights and wouldn't restart.  After a bit of fiddling I realised the carbon tip in the dizzy cap had fallen off. This is a fairly new cap which is bad, but worse is that the tip had dropped down into the plastic timing wheel for the pirhana electronic ignition and smashed the chopper wheel and took a chunk out of the sensor. Cos the car's an auto, I had to sort of abandon it on a side street I could roll it onto, but I'm going to have to cobble something up tomorro. That'll be a fun sunday  :(

If it won't go, am I okay to tow it a couple of miles home?  I've also just ordered a 123 Distributor for the non vacuum application, does anyone have any knowledge about them at all?

Not a good idea to tow an auto, even though the book says you can! The BW auto box only has a front pump, ie the pump to pump the oil round the box is driven off the front input shaft from the engine, hence you need the engine running to lubricate it. Some new cars now have rear driven pumps, ie the pump is driven off the output shaft so turning the wheels turns the pump.

If you tow the car, even in neutral, no oil will be circulating round the box. Imagine having your engine running for 20 miles, full of oil, but with the oil pump removed......gulp.......towing an auto is the same thing as this for the gearbox.

If you must tow, either get a lifted tow, or remove the prop first.......

::) ::) ::) :o

Um,...........yes it would! Good point (I knew that, I was just testing everyone else. Well done Alex, you won the Golden Cock Award!!) ;D

Okay, um, you need to disconnect the prop from the rear joint (4 bolts) and suspend the prop from the exhaust so that it won't fall out.........then tow it!

::)

Well, I couldn't get it running so I've towed it now. Fingers crossed its not knacked. It was only a couple of miles and high speeds were not an option, I was using a 1 litre Polo. I think we may have fried its clutch, smells pretty bad now.  I'll just have to wait for the bits to come.  Thanks for the towing advice.

I'm certain you won't have damaged the auto by towing it just a couple of miles.  

The  BW35 box on the early T2000 had an auxiliary pump at the rear end purely for towing but this was done away with as a cost saving.  This was when the mileage/speed restriction for towing was introduced - but two miles is nothing.

The Polo clutch may have become a bit glazed if it was badly slipping and this could cause judder, however it should be fine as well.  They do smell awful when they get hot, don't they?

Archived