Toledo exhaust

pete nettleton

Pete,

If you are handy and good at making things you could try making your own system if you have the old exhaust as a pattern. If the front pipe is O.K. you just need the pipe section and silencer.

I'm not sure of the layout of the Toledo but I made a single box, straight stainless steel exhaust for my 1300 Dolomite (original first spec) removing the twists across the car and back. I had to buy the downpipe because the original was on from new in 1980 and had rusted through.

It's not as difficult or as expensive as you might think. Straight 3 metre lengths of S/S tube and S/S silencers are available on ebay. If the bends are slight it can be bent around say a tree trunk with someone helping you. I went more high tech., I purchased a new hydraulic pipe bender, it cost about £75 but the total cost of a new exhaust, bender included was a fraction of the price of a new system from a firm beginning with R. There are firms on ebay who will provide bends to specific angles to make a system, again they aren't expensive.

The bender will get used on other cars in the future.

If you want details of pipe and silencer suppliers let me know.

17 minutes ago, standardthread said:

I purchased a new hydraulic pipe bender, it cost about £75

That's interesting, where from and is it any good?

@pete nettleton the Triumph Dolomite Club do new stainless exhausts if you've got a bit of cash to spare. £409 for full Toledo system (excl manifold). If you just need centre or rear sections they'll do those for less but don't list prices. You have to join the club as well.

Pete

46 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

That's interesting, where from and is it any good?

@pete nettleton the Triumph Dolomite Club do new stainless exhausts if you've got a bit of cash to spare. £409 for full Toledo system (excl manifold). If you just need centre or rear sections they'll do those for less but don't list prices. You have to join the club as well.

Pete

I got it off ebay just before brexit, yes it is. I could probably get most of my cash back selling it second hand.

28 minutes ago, pete nettleton said:

thanks for reply i cant afford that much i have just had my engine rebuilt so a bit strapped for cash was hoping to buy a mild steel one

It probably cost in total less than an M/S system if I could have got one.

The attached photo is of the two pre-formed bends I purchased to go over the rear axle, i got two of each just in case, so these are now 'scrap'. The swage on the right hand one I cut off to fit inside the left hand pipe. I got a straight length of tube from the same firm.

I didn't need a silencer because the silencer in the system was S/S, the system had been cobbled together but last time I looked just by putting stainless steel silencer on ebay they were about £65 ish.

IMG_1886.JPG

• Like 1

Just done a search of my purchase history, these are below;

Hydraulic pipe bender https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283628996259

Stainless steel tube https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112579591072

Pre-formed bends https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133089423580

You can make your own minds up about cost.

The car has been through an MOT since fitting, with no issues.

• Like 2

• admin changed the title to Toledo exhaust
9 minutes ago, pete nettleton said:

hi.where can i buy the two sections of exhaust that go over the back axle as i may be able to make them fit

Hi Pete,

I got them from the link above 'pre-formed bends', they should go over your axle, they go over my Doly axle.

In terms of joints, mine has one between the downpipe and silencer (I put it under the driver's seat), then a join between the rear of the silencer via a length of slightly bent pipe (link above) and the two pipes in my post above. They are joined together to allow fitting over the axle, then a final straight pipe to the back of the car.

I put an additional mount under the rear O/S passenger seat to take the weight.

As I say above, I went for a straight pipe, as per orignial car spec. To back that up our 1960 Standard (same block and rear axle as Doly's etc.) has a single through straight pipe and the single silencer is under the driver's seat.

If anyone wants the pipes in my post above they can have them for £15 the pair, plus post