Fibreglass Gearbox Tunnel on Herald 13/60

Alan Armstrong

A new one with rubber seal came with the car, as I am about to install the heater mechanism demister and pipes, thought I would get this sorted first.

From what I can glean from the Haynes manual, 4 screws are fitted from inside the engine bay, the rest from inside the body.

As I have no screws/bolts etc, can some please guide me on what should be used? Are they large self tapping screws with spire nuts clipped over the mounting holes?

Thanks and regards

Alan

I will need to fit a new tunnel this winter.  The old GRP one is getting a bit flexible.     As I have zero inhibitions about modding the car, has anyone else fitted fixed studs to the bulkhead and floor edges, onto which the cover could be slotted?     

The OE method was similar - those bolts stayed in place when the cover was removed, and on replacement, the slotted covers pushed under their heads.    I'd just have fixed studs, and puta short length of alloy angle iron under a nut, to spread the load.

John

Sorry, but the original fittings for the Herald gearbox tunnel cover were spire bolts, part number FU2545 (nut) YH6507 (screw), about 3/8" UNF from memory, left in place, with the slotted clip/cover (photo above) slid off the screw to be able to lift the cover off. The clips being fitted flat face down on to the cover. 

Edited by standardthread
part number

Can't get in to the last post so;

You could try these;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Motorcycle-Fairing-Bolts-X-25-m5-5mm-Lug-Nuts-Speed-Spire-Clips/111651091440?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They are very good and reasonably priced, I used them to re-attach the wings on our Standard 10, it originally had spire bolts. You will still need the retaining plates, part number 608383.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 17:03, standardthread said:

Sorry, but the original fittings for the Herald gearbox tunnel cover were spire bolts, part number FU2545 (nut) YH6507 (screw), about 3/8" UNF from memory, left in place, with the slotted clip/cover (photo above) slid off the screw to be able to lift the cover off. The clips being fitted flat face down on to the cover. 

I fear you misunderstand my post!    Yes, that was the OE method, but I have in mind fixed studs, over which the cover would be placed, to be held there by a nut and a spreader plate.     Really, not much different from the OE set-up!

Thank you for the link to the threaded spire clips product!   Tempting, but even spire clips can move about, which is really annoying when you are putting the cover back!

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I fear you misunderstand my post!    Yes, that was the OE method, but I have in mind fixed studs, over which the cover would be placed, to be held there by a nut and a spreader plate.     Really, not much different from the OE set-up!

But wouldn't that idea/method then creates more obstacles (and chances of injury) when removing a very heavy gearbox into/through the car if you have a clutch to replace?

I just use a Phillips screwdriver to re-position the clips, but if they have been there a while and underseal is around them they are usually 'stuck' in place.

• Like 1