What is the best modification you have made to your car?

Martins Stag

LED lamps front and rear,

Best of all so far - fitting DRLs.  They give confidence that I can be seen in modern traffic conditions, especially on tree-lined country roads in sunny conditions but with variable llighting caused by shadows.

On 16/02/2023 at 09:31, JohnD said:

Velocita Rosso, are you there?  Hello?  Please tell us, what are the "right pads"?

No answer.    I just love it when people make opinionated statements and fail to back them up.

On the rest above, yes, 1144s are good for road use.   But I race mine, and with the vented discs I use 1155s that have a higher operating temperature.   The result is that my brakes never fade, even when I 'm using late braking.      And what's more, they still work straight out of the garage, when  they are cold.

John

So you want me to answer .....first I remember you saying ,said few years ago, when corrected on a some points ...that you would never , never post on this forum ever again....and here you go again making narky comments. Our cars have quite a lot of modifications that are on a list too long to mention, as we just get on with modifying and enjoying the cars for what they do.

2000 / with added Rover 3.5 V8 engine has the added  power, along with modified gear box to give extra power on the top two of five gears. A bespoke gearbox cradle to support the rocking of the added power . Electronic ignition. A bespoke cooling system leading to a designed aluminium radiator along with electric cooling fan.  Modified prop shaft to a stronger diff and CV joint shafts. Lowered suspension with special springs obtained from the USA. Wider wheels and twin pot calipers with 1155 pads.Electric windows fitted to redesigned front doors. Alfa front leather seats. A specially designed add on aluminium fuel tank giving another three gallons for longer runs like the 10CR etc Plus many more bits and bobs that improve handling etc

The Spitfire, recently re machined engine with Newman fast road(not race) cam,   Duplex/vernier timing gear,electronic ignition bespoke from H and h ignition solution. uprated 75amp alternator ,to cover additional gadget requirements  ARP Racing cylinder head bolts, inline top hose heat sensor for the electric fan. Oil cooler with sandwich plate, new wiring harness with wired in live spurs ,incorporating an additional fuse box and relay box. New higher poundage springs ,adjustable rear radius arms . 3.63 diff. and stronger spring overdrive.....and 1144 pads that stop on a tanner even going down the Timmelsjoch or Stelvio.Plus many more upgrades that improves the car

These cars have done many endurance events, numerous 10CRs track days etc........but getting older is harder on me than the car....which is bullet proof

Now you pick out what you like but we are happy with what we have done without bleating on about it...

Oh and the lack of response is due to fact I am not glued to the forum reading various things as I, along with the rest of the committee are getting on with trying to keep this great club going.....not banging my own drum

Edited by Velocita Rosso

On 16/02/2023 at 14:15, JohnD said:

No, I don't recommend them for ordinary road use!     Please see Mintex's own website:  Racing Compounds – Mintex

These are all "Racing Compounds"

1144 - Medium-torque material with excellent low temperature performance. Ideal for fast road, track days, karts, hill climbs, off road, club motorsport and light weight open wheel racers. 

1155 - Medium-torque material offering excellent pedal feel, greater high temperature performance and resistance to fade. Developed for loose surface rally, open wheel and light weight saloon racing. M1155 offers the driver more controllability over more aggressive high friction compounds. Perfect where trail braking techniques are used.

1166 - High-torque material, combining a strong resistance to fade with greater performance and stability at high temperature. Extensively used over the years in saloon, rally and open wheel racing.

Yer 'ordinary' pads are absolutely fine for ordinary road use.   I would suggest that apart from pass descending, if you  get your brakes to fade on the road, you are driving like a lunatic!

John

Every one has the ability to read...especially specs...which are black and white...but it is down to the individual car and driver how a pad can react to the individual driver......

Best mod(s) in my Vitesse CV...

2.5 engine, built by GT. TR5 cam, ported and flowed, properly balanced, Circa 172BHP on the rollers, paddle clutch, saloon gearbox with J type OD, 3.27 diff with Blackline ATB LSD. Ally Rad.

Canley trunnionless uprights, 123 Tune dissy, custom prop from Bailey Morris, Mintex 1144 pads. Jones/Bowler CV shafts.Period 5.5J Revolutions.

Not all done at once thankfully, owned since October 1985.

Steve

Edited by Steve P
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I'd forgotten about them, fitted to the Spitfire years ago. Fit and forget and great peace of mind when doing events like the 10CR. 

Yep ....I forgot about them ....best thing since sliced errr bread. Puts shearing vertical links to the back of your mind when whipping around the Dolly mites 

9 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

So you want me to answer .....first I remember you saying ,said few years ago, when corrected on a some points ...that you would never , never post on this forum ever again....and here you go again making narky comments. Our cars have quite a lot of modifications that are on a list too long to mention, as we just get on with modifying and enjoying the cars for what they do.

2000 / with added Rover 3.5 V8 engine has the added  power, along with modified gear box to give extra power on the top two of five gears. A bespoke gearbox cradle to support the rocking of the added power . Electronic ignition. A bespoke cooling system leading to a designed aluminium radiator along with electric cooling fan.  Modified prop shaft to a stronger diff and CV joint shafts. Lowered suspension with special springs obtained from the USA. Wider wheels and twin pot calipers with 1155 pads.Electric windows fitted to redesigned front doors. Alfa front leather seats. A specially designed add on aluminium fuel tank giving another three gallons for longer runs like the 10CR etc Plus many more bits and bobs that improve handling etc

The Spitfire, recently re machined engine with Newman fast road(not race) cam,   Duplex/vernier timing gear,electronic ignition bespoke from H and h ignition solution. uprated 75amp alternator ,to cover additional gadget requirements  ARP Racing cylinder head bolts, inline top hose heat sensor for the electric fan. Oil cooler with sandwich plate, new wiring harness with wired in live spurs ,incorporating an additional fuse box and relay box. New higher poundage springs ,adjustable rear radius arms . 3.63 diff. and stronger spring overdrive.....and 1144 pads that stop on a tanner even going down the Timmelsjoch or Stelvio.Plus many more upgrades that improves the car

These cars have done many endurance events, numerous 10CRs track days etc........but getting older is harder on me than the car....which is bullet proof

Now you pick out what you like but we are happy with what we have done without bleating on about it...

Oh and the lack of response is due to fact I am not glued to the forum reading various things as I, along with the rest of the committee are getting on with trying to keep this great club going.....not banging my own drum

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Mintex 1155s - good choice!

Edited by JohnD