Cutting out with glowing ignition light

andytr6

Hi - my GT6 Mk3 with 2.5ltr engine HS4 carbs hasn't run properly yet since I bought it, and its hair tear out time!  Replaced dizzy with electronic one + coil + leads and plugs.  New fuel pump, pipes and cleaned sealed fuel tank.  Car now will run at about 1k revs for a while but when electric fan cuts in revs start to drop until it dies.  Ignition light which previously was slow to extinguish now has an odd glow after it starts.  Any Ideas?  I checked alternator brushes are OK.

Fan doesn't seem to be on a relay - its kenlowe one which I gather a relay is optional for - I'll check the output, was charging battery some time ago when I checked it.  Looks like an alternator is next step, but I'll check earthing first as well.  Many thanks.

If the fan is wired directly to the ignition circuit IE no relay it will be draining the power to the coil especially when its running causing no end of problems. Higher rated alternator will mask the problem and cause hot wires if not re-wired.

Would HS4 carbs work properly on a six pot too?

Ok - I'll add a relay to circuit for fan.  Not sure what you mean about HS4 carbs?  I assume they are HS4 because they measure 1.5" at filter (throat?) hole.  Can't find any marking to say they are definitely HS4...  I assume I could get more power from HS6's but that the already fitted HS4's would be OK

Thanks

Archived