Vitesse original oil filter housing

daver clasper

Hi. Just bought a second hand one as having problems with the seal kits for the Mocal spin on adapter that's currently fitted to car.

Will buy appropriate filter that appears to include the large outer seal.

Just wondering how to be sure the filter inner seal is in contact with the block when the housing lip is in contact with outer seal and sealing ok?.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, though any thoughts, much appriciated.

Thanks Dave 

Put some grease on the seal before fitting. Try to gently rotate the cannister as you do up the bolt to centralise it.

The spin on conversion is a better bet, as the standard filter drains when the car is left standing. There were problems with the depth of the inner groove. At one time two sizes of seals were available.  If you look now, Mocal have revised the design.

https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=308

I should add that for small chassis cars you need an anti-drain valve on the spin-on filter if mounted upside down.

57 minutes ago, Richard B said:

The spin on conversion is a better bet

On a big saloon, where there's plenty of room, and as long as the adapter fits properly, yes. On a Vitesse they're a pain (mine has one, fitted by a PO). The original works fine if all is well. My GT6 still has the original type and builds pressure quicker than the Vitesse does.

I have a few original oil filter housings, Vitesse, Gt6, Triumph 2500. Looking at them the other day I can't recall which came from what car.  They have been replaced with Mocal adapters for the spin on oil filters. There appears to be slightly different types. One has holes in the filter valve the other is blank. Don't know what difference it makes or if it maters if either type was fitted to any of the straight six engines.

20230217_232934.jpg

20230217_233534.jpg

Thanks for those pics Mark. I have no idea why the difference?. The unholed one in the second pic, appears to be the same as in the usual parts diagrams?.

I've just bought a used housing. The four pronged washer thingy on this is positioned on the bolt about 3/4" from the thread (by four peening pips on the bolt), so it can only move/slide back towards the the bolt head end.

Is this correct?, or has the thingy been forced over the front (threaded end of the bolt) of the pips at some time?.

Your photo looks like it shows one of pips in the same place as mine with regard to to the thingy.

Hope this makes sense 

Thanks Dave 

I believe that "thingy" is intended to centre the filter on its seat on the block, so it needs to be nearer the thread than the sprung bit. However, it doesn't really have much work to do and its exact position isn't critical. I'd pull it back onto the pips and see if you can get it to stick in place a bit, then be careful putting the filter element over it.

On 17/03/2023 at 00:37, MarkB said:

I have a few original oil filter housings, Vitesse, Gt6, Triumph 2500. Looking at them the other day I can't recall which came from what car.  They have been replaced with Mocal adapters for the spin on oil filters. There appears to be slightly different types. One has holes in the filter valve the other is blank. Don't know what difference it makes or if it maters if either type was fitted to any of the straight six engines.

20230217_232934.jpg

20230217_233534.jpg

Interesting as just seen in the workshop manual that the assembly with the 6 small holes you can see in the first photo is the pressure relief valve. If the filter becomes blocked a spring loaded plate opens inside and lets oil through to bypass the paper element. The other one does the same but has a central hole.

This relief valve is built into metal case cartridge filters so is replaced everytime but in both cases you have to hope its properly shut otherwise oil is passing unfiltered....

Bit confused as to what the star shaped "thingy" actually does with mine?. There is about a 2 to 3mm gap between the prongs and inner area of filter, therefore the filter droops down a fair bit when holding the housing in the horizontal position.

Maybe as Richard implies, if the housing is rotated when doing up the bolt, this will ensure the filter centralises itself?

Heres a good diagram from the free to download Triumph workshop manual showing the locating star washer and the relief valve in operation. I think the filter will be centralised as its bolted home by said relief valve assembly but it has to be held roughly in place while mounting the unit and the fingers of the star washer do this against the internals of the filter...

image.png.b689556302856bfb8ad3d5e452bd0fa5.png

20 hours ago, glang said:

Interesting as just seen in the workshop manual that the assembly with the 6 small holes you can see in the first photo is the pressure relief valve. If the filter becomes blocked a spring loaded plate opens inside and lets oil through to bypass the paper element. The other one does the same but has a central hole.

Thanks, that makes sense now.