What's the difference in spitfire radiators?

Maggie13

When reading the rimmer bros catalogue it says every year the radiators kept changing of different sizes and different pressure caps.

I take it they all fit, both the 16" and the 22".

I have 3 radiators, one i believe is full length if its the right one and two 16", all is leaking and I dont know what to do next. Is it best to get one recored? Is the 16" OK? Or buy an aluminium?

Is the higher pressure radiator cap best?

It's for a mk3 spitfire.

First all a higher pressure rad cap does is allows the temperature and pressure to go higher before opening which can mean people drive the car for longer before the steam release warns them theres a problem!

Apparently to improve emissions Triumph wanted the later Spitfires to run hotter so, to avoid the risk of a temperature spike causing the cap to lift (when stopping after a high speed run for example), they used a higher pressure cap. However now most owners like to keep their cars running cooler as this gives a bigger safety margin plus is better for the oil and other components in the engine and surrounding area. This can be done by ensuring the cooling system is clean and using the larger radiator, then the lower pressure cap can be used with no problem...

I would now get prices for a recore and compare with that for a new aluminium rad.

Whilst the original for your car the 16", I would go for a 22" as this increases the capacity of the cooling system and has better cooling than the smaller radiator. Also make sure you have the front shrouds to channel air through the radiator. The 22" fits the same as the 16" , just without the 'ears. So I would go for a recore or you might find that a radiator place can repair, rather than recore depending on condition.

The lower octane petrol sold now days can cause hotter running, as does sitting in traffic jams. So I always like to have some reserve in the cooling system.

I would not bother with a lightweight aluminium radiator as that is for boy racers (or girl). Aluminium radiators came in with modern aluminium engines which need a different type of coolent and the copper reacts to the antifreeze. Unless money is no object and you really want to lighten the car.

This is the big  radiator I have. One side needs the bracket soldered on again but Does this look like a spitfire radiator? I'm afraid incase I recored it and it turns out wrong.

I phoned a few people to find out the cost to recore but they said they need to see it and somewhere from £160 to £200 to get it done.

20230424_135103.jpg

You know, if youre not worried by originality, the cheap aluminium radiators on ebay (105 pound delivered) are a good option. I have read of quite a few that have been used without problems except the angle of the top pipe isnt 100% correct. This means the top hose has to connect in a slight S shape which is perfectly functional but irritating to some people. Then as we already have alloy components in our engines (thermostat housing, manifold etc) you can continue to use the same coolant as always which is what Ive done for a few years now on my Vitesse with aluminium Honda Civic radiator fitted...

I think the original wide rads had less cores than the later narrow ones? 

If getting a wide rad recored, probably best to get the deeper core fitted to give the best margin (although a mk3 won't stress the cooling system like a 1500 does)

I think a 13psi cap is the correct one to use. But with a new or recored rad, and the engine/heater flushed through first, cooling should be fine. More than fine.