Word of Warning: Poor quality rubber hoses :-(

Buttercup

Replaced all the rubber hoses in my Spitfire during the full recommissioning last winter only to find the one connecting the radiator to the pump cracked and dried after only 6 months and done only 1100 miles. Bought from Rimmer Bros! All other hoses from the kit appear to be fine. I have contacted them but am concerned that any replacements they will send will be of the same inferior quality as well.

Any suggestions on where to get reliable rubber hoses? I don't really fancy the silicone hoses and want to try and stay as true to the original car as possible.

Thanks

Paul

20230529_161051725_iOS.jpg

20230529_161102616_iOS.jpg

20230529_161106513_iOS.jpg

Edited by Buttercup

13 hours ago, iani said:

You can get great quality hoses from these guys, make sure you also use good quality clamps http://classicsiliconehoses.uk

Ian

+1 for these people. Fit and forget and if you go for black visually indistinguishable from conventional rubber hoses. Another benefit is that silicone hoses are easier to remove, eg when draining the system to replace coolant, they don't weld themselves so assiduously to outlets.

• Like 3

Thanks Guys, I have learned a lot over the weekend. Rimmers have offered to replace the 'offending' item but am now very much set on getting silicone hoses where my previous hesitance was based on those 'shiny colourful' hoses I have seen on other cars and are not my cup of tea!

• Like 1

I can also give a picture of my silicone hoses. I had a similar experience with new rubber hoses. Apart from the fact that the hose split before I had a chance to drive the car. I  fitted the hose in october, and when I took the car out in may, the hose was split. 

I have attached a pic from last years 10CR where you can see the hoses - all hoses in the picture are silicone (apart from fuelhoses). Going on their 5th year now.

IMG_1521.thumb.jpg.c0329d04f8b10bc3c3507417579c889c.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nick B. said:

edit:

Bought on the bay of plenty in 2012 for 85 pound sterling.

Thanks Nick, yes, I have been looking at them as they came recommended on another group I am in, they have the OE Black and having spoken to them they look like original rubber hoses. Wish the price was still the same! 🙂 

Update: After having emailed Rimmer Bros yesterday they contacted the suppliers and of course they have only ever had two customers complain and I was one of them!! 

Anyhow, they agreed to replace it and it arrived this morning so can't fault their customer service on this occasion

20230531_122020000_iOS.jpg

2 hours ago, Dannyb said:

My new top hose split yesterday after 30 mins. Why are the new top hoses shorter than the old ones ?. Just ordered a 30mm silicon hose.

Danny

Incredible! Hope my replacement will last till I get the silicone hoses! 

3 hours ago, Tim Hunt said:

Hopefully you can appreciate from the attached pic of my silicone rubber top and by pass hoses that they are not at all shiny, maybe somewhere between matt and satin in paint terminology.

Tim

IMG_0284.JPG

Thanks Tim, I am a new 'convert' for silicone hoses!! 🙂

3 hours ago, Buttercup said:

Update: After having emailed Rimmer Bros yesterday they contacted the suppliers and of course they have only ever had two customers complain and I was one of them!! 

Anyhow, they agreed to replace it and it arrived this morning so can't fault their customer service on this occasion

20230531_122020000_iOS.jpg

Count me as a third - however I did not bother to complain. I just switched to silicone.  Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at this post the other day, I have the same problem on my gt6. All the trunion rubbers are split in half, the brake calliper dirt seals are completely shot, anti roll bar poly bushes have melted and steering rack boots are starting to crack, all were replaced about 5 to 6 years ago and the car has not been on the road yet. I still have the old ones that look ok so I'm going to refit them.

• Like 1