Herald Bonnet Differences

Jonny-Jimbo

Good afternoon all,

Just wondering what the differences are in the early style Herald bonnets? I am aware that some of the 'peaks' on the headlights are different, but what are the differences in the bonnets?

Side lamps, grill mounts and grilles, heater vents... I'm sure they must have changed between early 948s and late 1200s, but just wondering what the differences are... if anyone can sum up, and possibly illustrate too?

You need a copy of the Mike Costigan Guide to originality Book, this goes into great detail about the various changes?

A few that spring to my mind between Early 948 and 1200 are:-

1. Different Wheel arch Rubber Mouldings
2. Bonnet Location method to the Bulkhead.
3. Handle omitted on bonnet on later cars.
4. Air Intake pressing for Heater.

I'm sure there are more, where are you Bill?

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Does Bill have it on his website actually? Should have thought of that...

I've never published the information, but I did collate the differences (as I understood them) at one point. Off the top of my head I think I found at least 22 distinct combinations of features on 948/1200 bonnets, but I've seusequently found more changes which would increase that figure. To anyone bothered by originality, bonnet swaps are a minefield...

Immediate features which come to mind:
4 different patterns of innerr wheelarch pressing - dogleg with holes for rubber curtains, dogleg without curtains, shortened dogleg, standard short late pattern.
4 different top panel pressings - Seperate air intake with TRIUMPH lettering, integral intake with TRIUMPH lettering, seperate air intake with HERALD lettering andintegral intake with HERALD lettering.
4 different closing plate configurations - Angled plate flat, angled plate with 'V' profile, bonnet cone in bonnet, bonnet cone on bulkhead.
4 different wing patterns - Early type where pressed crease continues the the bottom ahead of the wheelarch, later type has the pressing gradually diminishing until it disappears an inch or so before reaching the bottom. I believe each of these would have been made with both large and small sidelight apertures.

There are also differences to the tube's spring locations, as well as the structure which connects the bonnet to it. The reinforcements at the back edge of the wings also have an early and late style, while the top panel is finished differently at the back edge on early cars. The inner arches of early cars also lacked holes for the stays - the more you look, the more you'll find.

Few of these changes were ever implemented at the same time, while features such as badging ran alongside one another because of requirements for different markets.

Cheers,
Bill.