GT6 Mk3 bonnet hinge bolt sizes?

THe Maestro

Hi, I seem to have lost the nuts and bolts that attach the 2 bonnet armatures to the hinge box assembly at the front.  On each side there were two bolts that held the bonnet in position vertically and one fat bolt that held it in position horizontally, so 6 bolts in all.

I can easily replace the two fat bolts with something similar but I need to get the exact right bolts for the 4 that hold the bonnet vertically because they screw into a fixed internal thread in part of the hinge.  I've taken it to B&Q and tried to find bolts that will screw into it but I can only find ones that screw in a bit and then get stuck. I guess the thread width is non-standard?

Where does one find nut and bolt specifications in general for these cars?

Here's part of the page from the parts manual:

Here's the decoder for the fastener part numbers:
http://www.geocities.com/rotoflex/gt6-fasteners.htm

So HU0805 is a fine-thread 5/16" setscrew (a bolt threaded all the way to the head), 5/8 of an inch long (measured along the length of the shaft, that is, its length minus the head of the bolt.

HUO915 is a fine-thread 3/8" setscrew 15/8 long (i.e., 1 7/8 long)

Your B&Q bolts are most likely to be metric, something which only came into regular use in the UK after your GT6 was made. The majority of fasteners on your GT6 will be UNF or UNC.

You might get lucky if you have a proper old fashioned tools supplier near you who also stocks nuts and bolts, or even some sort of motor factors, failing that, you will probably have more luck if you try one of the numerous Triumph parts suppliers, such as Fitchetts or Moss, who can supply the fasteners, with just the part number shown above.

Thanks, yes there is a very good shop for nuts and bolts around here, it just I can't really get to it in the week with work and its shut at the weekend.  I think the problem was that the bolts in B&Q weren't fine threaded enough.  They had some called 'Machine Screws' that were finer threaded but they didn't have them in the correct diameter.  I'll probably try homebase and then if not, order them by part number.

61 wrote:
.  I think the problem was that the bolts in B&Q weren't fine threaded enough.  They had some called 'Machine Screws' that were finer threaded but they didn't have them in the correct diameter.  I'll probably try homebase and then if not, order them by part number.

You want Imperial UNF bolts not Metric. Any good Nut 'n Bolt shop should be able to supply, not B&Q or Homebase etc.

At a a guess 5/16'' UNF (1/2''AF Spanner), not sure of the length 1''?

Archived