bonnet stress-crack's?

WIMPUS

2597 wrote:
I take it you are talking about cracks in the metal?
Not always easy to cure.
I put weld on the cracks anf ground back. Not always succesful though.

yes in the metal ..
a guy with a spit 2 streets from my door have welded it 20years ago en now for the last 3years it's coming back ..

Sounds to me that the bonnet tubes/supports are not tight enough allowing the tubes to move and the bonnet to twist when lifted from one side which stresses the bonnet causing cracks. Also check that the bonnet pivots, the short steal tubes within the tube have not seized. There is a massive amount of force exerted on the pivots as you lift the bonnet and it might not be apparent that the tubes are being stressed. The bonnet should lift squarely and easily when raised from one side without any twisting or catching on the bulk head. once this is sorted spot weld along the stress cracks, alternating along the crack to limit distortion until you have a continuous line of spots and grind/and smooth.

Mark

Unfortunately welding introduces stresses so increases the likelihood of recurrence.
A good welder could advise on the the best way to minimise this problem.
Stiffeners can be used around the lock handle as it is an easy area to get at.
The area near the headlights is a stress concentration area due to the design, so much care is required there when repairing.   Advice from someone with the appropriate expertise is very worthwhile for this repair.

Oops, looks like Mark has come to the rescue whilst I was keying.

93 wrote:
Sounds to me that the bonnet tubes/supports are not tight enough allowing the tubes to move and the bonnet to twist when lifted from one side which stresses the bonnet causing cracks. Also check that the bonnet pivots, the short steal tubes within the tube have not seized. There is a massive amount of force exerted on the pivots as you lift the bonnet and it might not be apparent that the tubes are being stressed. The bonnet should lift squarely and easily when raised from one side without any twisting or catching on the bulk head. once this is sorted spot weld along the stress cracks, alternating along the crack to limit distortion until you have a continuous line of spots and grind/and smooth.

Mark

mark , yes 1 of the fixing of the tubes where broken off so maybe .. but the car is now under restoration so time enough to put it back on the road ^^

wim

Archived