bonnet stay location

ferny

Can anyone do me a favour and measure from the bonnet where their bonnet stay bolts to the inner wheel arch? I've checked and double checked (manual and on-line photos) and mine are around the correct way and when I drilled the holes I took the measurements from my old metal bonnet. If you look at the attached photo you'll see that when the bonnet is down it contacts the underside. So, either the hole is in the wrong place which is easy to rectify, or the bonnet is utter crap, which I already know it to be. You may even notice it's too far over to one side as well, bloody thing. Job for another day when I can be arsed! Kinda fed up of constantly having to try and make it just about "ok".

I had to check this wasn’t April 1st before running out to the garage and looking at mine…..
I may be wrong as I can’t get the orientation of your photo right in my head, but that one appears to be upside down; when the bonnet is opened they are straight but as the bonnet closes they break in the middle and downwards, not up…
This pic is about the best I have of my old Herald but may help you picture the fitment…
Sorry if I’ve read your photo completely wrong….

Could it be the spring has to be connected?  (to pull it downward) Have spent 3 days trying to align my bonnet on the blue Herald.  Right side is OK but left is a little forward and up at the rear.   Entire bonnet want's to be offset to the left.  Left side needs to be pulled down using the catch but the bulkhead catch will not go down any more.  Still trying.

Hmm, they're defiantly the correct way around as I did some Google image searching and also checked the picture in the workshop manual (not Haynes). I'd always had them on around the wrong way in the past... But for some reason they were now hitting the suspension turret when I put it back together. I'm not sure if my friend removed them and put them back when he helped me take it off.

I was putting it down to the location of the hole on the inner wheel arch. I've never had springs but always had a problem with them contacting the bonnet, even with a steel one. Perhaps mystery solved?

Bill, you've got the same problem as me. Except mine's a horrible fibreglass pile of excrement. Is you're an original steel one? Perhaps the brackets by the overriders aren't in their correct position for some reason.

yes mine is orignal to the car.  If fit OK before if took the entire car apart.  Entire body was removed form the frame.  Body fits the frame and  the bulkhead is the same distance on each side from the shock towers.  The front crossmember is not quite level as the right side was broken off from the over rider upright witch also was broke off.  With everything tight, each time I open and close the bonnet it I have to pull and tug to get it where it was. Hummmmmm.

Oh I did find out there seems to be a right and left bonnet stays.

Ferny:  Are you sure you have them on right side up?  Take a good look at the pictures above.  Does yours look the same with the bonnet open?  The bent tabs on the end or each part should prevent them from folding upwards.  The part with the elong hole goes on the shock tower.  As you see in the pictures they want to fold downward when closing the bonnet.