Post RBRR Repairs

I've now started my post run repairs.

I replaced the faulty ignition switch today, I managed to do it in situ without removing the steering column which was a result. I've now removed my hotwire repair that I did down in Cornwall.

I've replaced the Oil Pressure switch which packed up on the run, this is an easy 5 minute job.

The Wipers were overshooting and not going back to the normal low park place, I sussed out that was just that the nut holding the wiper rack to the motor had worked loose. So an easy fix.

Next job will be to sort the speedo out. I've disconnected the cable at the top end and driven up the road and it's not rotating so it's the cable or angle drive. I did pull the speedo inner cable out and it doesn't look broken at the far end so it's either the angle drive broken or may even be just something that's worked loose. I'm waiting for a couple of dry days to do this as the gearbox tunnel needs to come out to investigate and fix, this is easiest to do outside on the drive with the doors open than in the garage.

One of the eyeball air vent hoses has also come off, but that has to come out when taking the tunnel out so I'll wait to do that.

The car is now more usable though and thanks to a digital GPS speedo that Glynn loaned me it's even legal to drive !

Re-wire whole car. Was on my list two years ago and considering it randomly cut out on bumps all weekend I think it's time to sort it.

Replace bent wheel. I've got 14" to go on, but need to refurb them.

Strip Down UJ's on half shaft to inspect where the noise was coming from.

Build a whole new exhaust after the back section split into two just after the start. The front section is rusty too, so may as well do the whole thing.

Fit new wheel studs after one snapped. But, seeing as the diff has a mise now, at least one UJ is iffy and the whole back end took a pounding, I think it's time to finish the subaru conversion I started in 2020.

Gotta stich more of the hood now as well.

I think that's it. I was surprised by how much decided to end it's life or at least attempt to on the run. I'm also surprised it finished.

Just had the car up on ramps and refixed the back two sections of the exhaust checked front wheel bearing and replaced near side one also sounds like a tappet wants adjusting they were all spot on when I left home on Friday morning also got to check why the temperature gauge stopped working on Sunday 

• Like 1

Team 130 will be looking to:

• replace the TR6 drivers window (all the little bits at Lands End will not fit back together again, especially now I've had a doctor pull some of it out of my head). 
  • ascertain why the wipers, indicators, temperature and fuel gauges cut out periodically (and what makes them come back).
  • resolve the chronic thirst characterised by our engine which seemed to drink twice the fuel of more spirited drivers.
  • consider adding a second fuel pump so that we can switch between them when they get hot.

Taken both manifolds off and replacing the gasket to exhaust, having some welding done to the exhaust manifold to address an issue from PO which at that time was done by a Triumph garage! Inlet manifold now all clean and ready to paint cooling pipes. Should have exhaust manifold back hopefully tomorrow. 

IMG_4202.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buttercup said:

Taken both manifolds off and replacing the gasket to exhaust, having some welding done to the exhaust manifold to address an issue from PO which at that time was done by a Triumph garage! Inlet manifold now all clean and ready to paint cooling pipes. Should have exhaust manifold back hopefully tomorrow. 

IMG_4202.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg

Well worth checking both the downpipe and manifold mating faces are perfectly flat. I have several T shirts associated with those downpipe gaskets (eventually fixed by tapping to M10 so I could use cap head bolts that don't break/strip) However, I bought some extra long brass nuts from an ebay supplier for my dolomite, worth a thought.

• Like 1

ferny,

I recall damaging the exhaust on Kevin's Acclaim, when at the end of along downhill run and at near max speed (I was driving) we hit an unmarked, but unsurfaced road repair.   The Acclaim exhaust manifold goes forward from the transverse engine, down and under the sump, so vulnerable and it split where it dented.     Repaired with two Jubilees and an opened out tin (possibly aluminium) can, it got us home that time, still with our hearing intact.

John