Hood Frame Header Rail

MarkB

Hi all

Repaired ends of the header rail on the Vitesse hood frame today. Just a little corrosion and not as bad as on some cars I have owned.

Should the short bars that come off each end of the header rail have some side to side movement, they are held on by heavy duty steel pressed studs/rivets.

I seem to remember these should have some movement but the ones on my car are seized solid, or pressed so they are solid,  but then I think it would have been in one peice welded to  

the header rail with no other joins if it was meant to be solid.

Thanks

Mark  

Yes my thoughts as well. I think the reason a lot of header rails crack in this area is because this bar seizes and stresses the joint when latching the hood down. Mine was Ok just a bit of rust caused by moisture under the vinyl. I did heat this joint up today to see if it would move but its going to take a bit more effort as it is solid and I was waiting conformation on here before I really go for it.

Yes they are supposed to move, had to unseize one side on my Vitesse

Plenty of WD40 then Oil and Dinitrol fluid to keep them free.

I believe that if they do seize up this cause the Welds to fracture, there is quite a bit of scuttle shake on a Herald/Vitesse Convertible over bumpy roads

Hi all
Thanks for the replies.
Manged to loosen the joints yesterday, rusted very solid, but after lots of heat and penetrating oil I got both sides moving, now they flop side to side with ease. I carefully clamped the end of the header rail in a vice above the welded joint and worked directly on the arm. It would be very easy to snap off at the weld if not held securely.

Thanks

Mark