HS6 inlet Machining

Steve P

I`ve asked this before but i`m looking for specific advice if poss.
I have a pair of HS6`s on a long tract manifold which will be going on my Vitesse with a late 2.5 engine,question is how much machining and from where on the manifold is the best mod for this setup on a Vitesse without bonnet mods etc.
The carbs are at the machine shop but he wont start till i give him more info.
Advice appreciated.
Steve

redoxideVit wrote:
I thought you could get away with normal dashpots with the mainfold machined to take the angle of the saloon engine out.
Steve

I have Sprint dash pots on my setup, it's pretty close but does clear.
It will be injected ASAP, still waiting bodywork to be completed.
Looking at my carbs, I would just change the carb to manifold angle, if you go lowering at the head end, you cannot put a decent exhaust manifold on the engine.
I'll try and take a picture to show the setup.

Simon

From my recollection, unless it's very drastic cutting and tig welding at the carb mounting face, it doesn't achieve much clearence improvement there.
It is the manifold face that brings the big benefit, but as you correctly say, you have tpo be wary as to what exhaust manifold you want to run with.

Quote:
I would just change the carb to manifold angle, if you go lowering at the head end, you cannot put a decent exhaust manifold on the engine.

Not neccesarily true.

The Saloon engine is canted at 7 degrees to vertical (to provide Alternator / Battery clearence). As the GT6, Vitesse & TR6 engines are vertical most of the exhaust manifolds should allow some trimming of the inlet face.

Unless of course you've got something designed for PI or Webers and the angled inlet allows you to use that.  

But I'm willing to be proven wrong......

Thanks Richard!
This was a friends before/after manifold, but the one he machined for me was done by the same bloke.
You can see how the machining drops the upsweep of the 2500S manifold from markedly up, to virtually horizontal. The GT6 manifold in comparison is markedly stepped down(aesthmatic!).

Archived