Team GTR5 for 2026... and 2024 backup plan? co-driver?

Ok so I know the event is open but since Im across the pond... with an unknown car and no confirmed co-driver.  Im going to have to wing-it for this year.

Ill be in the UK July to Sept.  first thing is to access the Vitesse that Team Torpedo has store at my mother in laws in Bristol.  I hope its a quick fix.  Until then I need to have a backup plan.  Anyone have room for a co-driver if my rides not in order?

Heres my ride for 2026 and what Im working on right now.

Also I going to need to find insurance for '26.  Hagerty will not cover me without UK reg and I plan to temp import my car with my current US tags.  Anyone know of anyone that will cover me?

415044316_816210860503947_6696336503316459731_n.jpg

IMG-20221030-WA0001.jpg

A few people have brought cars over the pond for the RBRR and insured the cars on US plates, so it is possible for UK events, well it was.

There must be a solution, perhaps try contacting Pete Barrett at Cherished insurance, he is a CT member and has done long distance events.

• Like 1

Do you recall who that was that imported with US plates so I can ask.  Ive googled and and emailed many places and Ive found no one able to insure a temp import car.

Maybe I can get a Q plate for the temp import.

I know Patrick Barber brought his Spitfire and also a GT6 over to the UK for the RBRR, but I'm pretty sure he used Hagerty at that time.  I also know another guy that took his TR3 to the EU for an event and he also used Hagerty, but it appears they no longer offer insurance in the UK/EU for a car on US plates. 

I have contacted Cherished, Peter Best and Adrian Flux with no response yet.  Classic line said no as did Hagerty UK.  I can get liability only from Tourinsure, but that really isn't a good option.

Hi, 

If I understand correctly you want insurance whilst your car is temporarily in the UK, and also when you take part in the 2026 10CR on the continent. It might be worth contacting the TR Register insurance (https://www.tr-register.co.uk/insurance) as your car is a modified TR4. I realise it's different but they have been helpful to me using our rally TR4 on competitive events on the continent.

Dave

Edited by Batch

When i was planning to take my Vitesse to the US (didnt go - something called Covid got in the way!) Hagerty were the only ones I could find to offer me road insurance in the US.   So maybe they could do it in reverse?

John

19 hours ago, 1147cc said:

Emailed Hagerty and Cherished... will not cover without a UK Reg.

Seems that Brexit ruined all the coverage.

It may be worth actually contacting Pete Barrett at Cherished himself, I have noted you get a lot less personal service from others who work there.

It is the Triumph and MG show this weekend, perhaps Pete will be there for interrogation purposes.

I guess I don't see any comments from Pete, but I did find a solution.

Hagerty said they couldn't do it, but recommended Tourinsure.  They charge about $229 for 30 days of liability only. 

I then asked Hagerty US if they could provide just Collision/comprehensive coverage and it turns out they can.  For 30 days coverage it is about $250.

Cecil