Stromberg Overhaul

Straight Six

I have issues with the Stromberg carbs on my Vitesse and am going to overhaul them. However, I am trying to determine whether they need re-bushing or not. How much play is acceptable between the spindles and the carb bodies? At the moment with an unworn spindle I have about 15 thou movement.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

Can't say how much air is passing the spindles as the carbs are stripped on the work bench. It was getting difficult to balance them though, which was one of the reasons for re-building them. There was a reasonable amount of wear on the spindles which clearly need replacing, but I'm trying to determine whether the carb bodies are worn and there doesn't seem to be any information on this in any of the manuals.

If you have some vernier calipers you should be able to measure the hole in the bodies and the most useful indicator of wear will probably be how round/oval they are.  15 thou sounds a little on the big side to me but it will doubtless be a decent improvement on worn spindles and bodies!

Andrew Turner is highly regarded for SU overhaul - don't know if he does Strombergs as well?  Might also be worth contacting Burlen in Salisbury.

Nick

links  to most of the clues you will ever need, the Buckeye site has good  photo and descriptions,

http://www.tssc.org.uk/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=55&func=view&id=44787&catid=219

and for economical repairs give the carb exchange a call  http://www.carbex.demon.co.uk/

pETE

• 2 weeks later...