Stromberg CD "O" rings

junkuser

Whilst to O ring on the jet adjusting screw can be satisfactorily replaced by one from the usual kits available (RO 6), the ones of correct ID in these kits for the jet holder are too small in cross section (1.5mm) to give a satisfactory seal, though they will seal for a while.

Original O rings for these carburetors are hard to find in my neck of the woods so did a bit of searching.

Seems Din 3771 2.65 CS * 16 ID would be good but can't find a local supplier so am going to try some BS114 which have a cross section of 2.62 as they are available locally.

Don't know if the originals were specials or which standards were used.

Anther variable is the material from which they are manufactured.

Any comments appreciated.

hi junkuser
only thing i can say is there £1.00 for the big o-ring and £0.85 for small o-ring from canley classic`s
maybe get a joblot lot of o-ring between u and other members and split them between you`s

not sure if the suppliers in oz do there own or import them from us pom`s

http://www.jameswalker.biz/australia/categories/o_rings.html  may help?
http://www.kellysearch.com/au-product-64451.html

Thank you for the links.

Will be picking up some of those BS 114s on Saturday from BSC Motion Technology to see how they go.

The Din ones are available in Western Australia (I'm on the East Coast) but there may be a distributor over here.  Will look further if the BS ones not satis.

Just noticed an error in my Ist post.  The cross section of the O ring mentioned was 2.5 and not 1.5 as written.    The tolerance in manufacture seems to vary quite a bit also.

Picked up the BS 114 O rings and they look as though they will be OK.  Plenty of interference fit.

AUS$5.50 for a packet of 25 so have enough to last 100 years or so.

(Actually will be distributing amongst some mates who still run Strombergs on various old cars.)

Archived