Early Herald front indicator unit

Richard B

Does anyone have any pictures of an early Hearld Front indicator unit please?

I think it works by one wire to the bulb coming from the sidelight feed and one wire coming from the indicator feed. I am just a bit confused how the bulb does not earth through the casing to the bonnet.

Jessica has these on her Coupe, and wants them wired up 🙃

I might be wrong, but I think the early Herald indicator is different to the others. My understanding is that that if the sidelights are on; when you indicate the sidelight flashes on or off. This is because both sides of the bulb get 12v, same as an ignition warning light.

I believe the bulb has two poles on the base, but only one filament. Earthing through the bonnet and then the hinges is problematical.

If either function is used on its own, then the bulb earths through the other bulbs.

Anyone got a working 948 who can confirm?

Yes that’s correct I’ve had 2 early heralds, Mabel being the most recent but she’s had halogen upgrade with a pilot sidelight so her original side/indicators are now just indicators and have an orange lens  in place of the original white ones , 

2 hours ago, Richard B said:

I might be wrong, but I think the early Herald indicator is different to the others. My understanding is that that if the sidelights are on; when you indicate the sidelight flashes on or off. This is because both sides of the bulb get 12v, same as an ignition warning light.

I believe the bulb has two poles on the base, but only one filament. Earthing through the bonnet and then the hinges is problematical.

If either function is used on its own, then the bulb earths through the other bulbs.

Anyone got a working 948 who can confirm?

That would be pretty difficult to do and Rimmers says a double filament bulb (GLB380) was used. That makes sense as the 5w filament would illuminate with the side lights and then the much brighter 21w light up as well and flash when the indicators are operated. Both are earthed through the lamp case and this arrangement would then be much easier to convert as Wendy has done...

• 2 weeks later...