[search] Lucas yellow beams caps X4 5 1/2 for Mk2

frenchiemk2

France instituted yellow headlights over eighty years ago.    It was either so that the French Army could see if the Germans were moving at night or else for the Germans to see if the French Resistance were about, stories vary!   But got rid of them in 1993.   Do you want to - can you legally? - still use them?

John

14 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Do you want to - can you legally? - still use them?

Yellow bulbs are still available legally, so I guess the covers would be. But why would a French car fit covers rather than have had yellow bulbs ? Are those yellow covers really ones designed to convert RHD beams to LHD beams for Brits coming to France?

As for why they were introduced a more mundane answer is that they dazzle oncoming drivers less that white and better in fog.

When I moved here (1994) they were still common, they have gradually disapeared and there was even a time when yellow bulbs that blew were replaced by white and it was quite common to see a car with one of each.

More fun was when the French changed the law about priority at roundabouts, but that is another story . .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JohnD said:

France instituted yellow headlights over eighty years ago.    It was either so that the French Army could see if the Germans were moving at night or else for the Germans to see if the French Resistance were about, stories vary!   But got rid of them in 1993.   Do you want to - can you legally? - still use them?

John

Hi, 

What i learnt is here in France government chose yellow light because it's easier to see on snowy landscape (yes... no comment).

Well as main laws are not retroactive, you are allowed to still use yellow beams even now and no one will check the conformity/model.

I had 3 Scirocco Mk1 having 4 yellow tinted beams...

All i want, is to make an easy old looking car, reminding sports cars of the 70'S on meetings (Wheels, exhaust, spoiler, beams and bumpers off))

Try fleabay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=yellow+headlight+convert&_sacat=0&_odkw=troumph+tr8&_osacat=0

first holiday to France in the 1960s, headlights were painted yellow. Subsequent holidays left as white and apart from a few locals flashing, but soon stopped when full white beam returned, nothing ever happened!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brian Ridley-Jones said:

Try fleabay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=yellow+headlight+convert&_sacat=0&_odkw=troumph+tr8&_osacat=0

first holiday to France in the 1960s, headlights were painted yellow. Subsequent holidays left as white and apart from a few locals flashing, but soon stopped when full white beam returned, nothing ever happened!

yep, tired to pay much for postage and fees... 😏

On 29/03/2024 at 12:34, frenchiemk2 said:

Hi, 

What i learnt is here in France government chose yellow light because it's easier to see on snowy landscape (yes... no comment).

Well as main laws are not retroactive, you are allowed to still use yellow beams even now and no one will check the conformity/model.

I had 3 Scirocco Mk1 having 4 yellow tinted beams...

All i want, is to make an easy old looking car, reminding sports cars of the 70'S on meetings (Wheels, exhaust, spoiler, beams and bumpers off))

The French govt were right … it does !!

14 hours ago, 65redspit said:

The French govt were right … it does !!

It does but most time weather clear and more difficult to see at night and particularly when raining at night.

We were so happy to change the bulbs... Then we eventually discovered that even clear beams were poor and it was not only a matter of color... 😉

Sorry to burst the snow glare bubble, but it was in fact for improvements in visibility under conditions of glare, and, even more important, reductions in fatigue under glare conditions.  Whilst snow may come into that, it was the other 360 days that they were considering!

• Haha 1

30+ years ago when I first started venturing into France in a Triumph, I used to buy a little bottle of "paint on yellow" that was readitly available at the time.  Worked a treat and cleaned off easily with white spirit up my return 

LINK!

A quick google would seem to imply that it's still readily available...

I assume you want these covers for aesthetic reasons rather than compliance?  If for compliance, why not just pick up a set of LHD 5 1/4" Cibies or similar?

Edited by mikeyb
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, mikeyb said:

30+ years ago when I first started venturing into France in a Triumph, I used to buy a little bottle of "paint on yellow" that was readitly available at the time.  Worked a treat and cleaned off easily with white spirit up my return 

LINK!

A quick google would seem to imply that it's still readily available...

I assume you want these covers for aesthetic reasons rather than compliance?  If for compliance, why not just pick up a set of LHD 5 1/4" Cibies or similar?

Exactly, just for aesthetics : i want a 70's french racing look on a racing green Triumph. Already has french alloys, soon an exhaust with conic tip (Devil like). So the beams must be somehow yellow but i don't want to varnish them and be quickly reversible ( i arlready bought a PEBEO yellow varnish for a second set of KOITO beams i had formerly)

• Like 1

Bleu de travail?

image.png.66ac5cb3384fe6afc2f9c2c4844f1309.png

Oh, come on! Alpine use blue BECAUSE it's French Racing Colour, worn by Ballot, Delarge, Bugatti, SEFAC, Delahaye, Talbot, Gordini, Matra etc etc etc, since long before even colour photography was possible!   Alpine and Renault were late comers.  See "French Racing Blue" by David Venables: Stella & Rose's Books : FRENCH RACING BLUE Written By David Venables, STOCK CODE: 1608560 (stellabooks.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

French Racing Colour,

Goes back much, much further - hence my photo of Le Roi ( royal blue), renamed by the revolution, the original term French blue refers to a particular way of dying fabric. As used by a fabric from Nîmes, d' Nîmes or in English denim.

• Like 1