Carb troubles - i think

Rich_s

Got a bit of a problem with my car, all has been running fine for a while, last weekend i cleaned the carbs out as they had started flooding and found crap in the bowls, so all cleaned and were fine all week until my way into work yesterday...

after about 10miles i slowed down for a bend and then it wouldnt accelerate back up to speed again, just misfired and stuttered badly like i was out of fuel, which it isnt, by pulling the choke i could get it to run just about and could potter along at 30mph.

i have checked the pump filter and inline filter and all ok, plugs checked and spark tested which running and all fine, i drove home at 30mph for 18miles in country lanes and plugs look light brown so guessing its a fuel problem, it ticks over ok but it wont rev without putting the choke on, am guessing some crap has got into main jets maybe as have checked everything else and all is fine, anyone any other ideas on what it could be???

thanks
rich

Remove the dash pots.Take out the pistons , turn up side down and make sure the needle/s are set flush to the bottom of the piston
eg;the grub screw holding the needle in hasn`t allowed one of the needles to drop slightly
If so that is one of the symptoms that  you state
I had a similar problem 5/6 years ago .I sat for ages checking everything.....it would go when choked....push it in and would not accelerate    

weeeeellllllllllllll............

the carbs have been rebuilt and no muck in them anywhere and still the same problem, but now i notice i have lost about a cup full of coolant from overflow bottle in last week and white smoke out of the exhaust when i rev it, bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!  guessing the head gasket has gone so compression test 2moro and a rebuild, looks like i'll be on the motorbike to go to work all week :(

on the plus side it could explain why its been running hotter than normal and temp gauge has been going up and down while driving and maybe the slightly lower mpg as well.

why do these things never go wrong in the summer??????

not happy
Rich

well i was completely wrong, compression test was 150psi across all cyls so running far better that i thought it would, but still wouldnt rev, so i swapped the new spark plugs for the old set and it ran better but not right, noticed the one carb overflowing so change the float valve for an old one and now all running as it was and no problems.

new plugs and valves will be ordered and hopefully no more problems.....

rich