Herald Engine inlet manifold suggestion’s please

Eric JS

Hi guys I am looking for help.

I am restoring a 1955 Standard 8 saloon - if you are not familiar with this bit of the Standard Triumph history, the Standard 8  is the older sibling of the Triumph Herald and the first car to use the Standard Triumph SC engine.

The car at some time had its old engine removed and replaced with a later rebuilt 1147cc Herald engine, and according to the engine number, I am told it is a High Compression engine fitted with the Spitfire cam shaft.

To complete the engine’s development I want to help it breath better by fitting a sports exhaust and obviously a better carburettor than the current Solex downdraft draft carburettor.

My problem is space, The Standard 8’s engine bay is not wide or long enough to accommodate twin carburettors, as the hydraulic master cylinders are in the way of the rear most carburettor and the drivers side inner wheel arch is just under 350mm away from the side of the block - I am therefor looking for any thoughts and ideas you guys might have in relation to manifolds or adaptors so that I can continue my plans.

I feel I can only go down draft, I don’t really want to cut up the current manifold to remove the exhaust section as I would prefer a dedicated inlet manifold if I can find one.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

E S