TR7 Wipers not switching off

TReslaV8

Had a great Drive it Day run yesterday on the MAC Classic including a run up Shelsley Walsh hill climb, all in brilliant sunshine. But living on the other side of the country (Norwich) I returned this morning along a spray ridden M5/M42/M6/A14. Wipers on but as the rain petered out returning to the glorious East of England, the wipers decided they would like to keep going. I can get the two speeds, but switching off, or to intermittent, has no effect they just keep going. Took a while to find a way to cut the power to them, the 25A fuse also prevented the car firing (seems odd, but clearly some shared wiring there) it turned over readily but would not fire. Replaced fuse and engine runs fine, but so do the wipers constantly. Anyway would I be right in thinking this is likely to be a problem with the stalk switch rather than anywhere else? Cheers, David

David, pulling the 25a fuse should not stop the car starting but will effect a number of other circuits.

I suspect the problem is the park contact inside the wiper motor, but you can temporarily isolate the wipers by disconnecting either of the plugs from the wiper delay module found behind the instrument console. It's black plastic with two five pin connectors.

Cheers

Howard

Thanks Howard, I note what you say about not affecting the starting but it was both with the wiper fuse removed and one power wire by the motor, the wipers stopped but then the car would turn over on ignition easily but not fire. As soon as I replaced the fuse (or the power) it reverted, fired on second churn but wipers stuck on.  I did manage to find a different bullet connector which seems to have just affected the wipers. I will also have a look for the 5 pin connectors you refer to.

Given what you say about the park contact (& I saw something similar on another club’s forum) is that a replacement wiper motor rather than a repair to the existing?

Finally as ever many thanks for the prompt response, most appreciated.  

David

Try again with upload. See sheet 4 for details of the wiper circuit - as you can see the switch in the wiper drive motor provides continuous power to the motor except in the parked position (which is the position its shown on the drawing), consequently if this isn't working properly the wipers will continue to run forever...

H
1981 TR7 DHC Wiring Diagram Rev 7 03_2023.pdf1981 TR7 DHC Wiring Diagram Rev 7 03_2023.pdf1981 TR7 DHC Wiring Diagram Rev 7 03_2023.pdf1981 TR7 DHC Wiring Diagram Rev 7 03_2023.pdf1981 TR7 DHC Wiring Diagram Rev 7 03_2023.pdf1981 TR7 DHC Wiring Diagram Rev 7 03_2023.pdf

Edited by Howard
Notes added to explain problem

Thanks Howard, sorry I didn’t get to PM you, it has been a hectic few days (on a voluntary job I have!) so didn’t get the chance until now. Anyway, your explanation makes a lot of sense. Presumably then I need to replace the wiper motor so the park control works properly and thus the wipers will switch off.  Once again big thanks. David

29 minutes ago, TReslaV8 said:

Thanks Howard, sorry I didn’t get to PM you, it has been a hectic few days (on a voluntary job I have!) so didn’t get the chance until now. Anyway, your explanation makes a lot of sense. Presumably then I need to replace the wiper motor so the park control works properly and thus the wipers will switch off.  Once again big thanks. David

No need to replace the wiper motor, you can just replace the park switch, they're available on ebay for ~£15. Search for Lucas 14W wiper motor park switch. 

Edited by Amy Wade

Hi,
the wiper switch can cause problems if it's a cheap replacement that has worn out. I have problems with the end-float the cheaper switches will not tolerate.
I have had to disconnect the low-speed and swap with the high-speed brush to bypass my park switch.

A good quality park switch is sold by Mini Sport UK. About £17 delivered.
wiper-motor-park-switch

The biggest problem I have with the park switch is:
How do you fit it without breaking it? What is the forgotten method?

Iain.