jasmine yellow paint code

bigkahuna

Hi iv`e a herald 13/60 convertible i`m restoring,the paint code on the vin plate is 34 which i believe to be jasmine yellow,my question is iv`e been to my paint supplier and asked for this and they have no data base going back to 1971 so they have no way to make it up,i`m told it`s 2 pack which is fine.does anybody know the mix code for jasmine yellow or have a tin.i`m not sure how i can find this out,

Thanks in advance,steve.  

Some old colours are really easy to get, some are not. I tried to get Jaguar Racing Green (the 1960s shade) and couldn't, but the same shop could sell me Ford Alpine Green or several others of similar vintage.

As to Jasmine, I have found some RAL / PPG codes from Googling it but as yet haven't got round to trying to buy any (my Spitfire's hard top is Jasmine but I haven't got round to refurbishing it yet). My Google results were:

Primrose Yellow (Pale Yellow) PPG 81168
Primrose ICI Code 3220 TR3 from May 1958
Jasmine ICI code 5520

Jasmine Yellow PPG 81686

For paint requirements I just go to Middleton Motor Panels in Gloucester who are my nearest supplier.  They check on their computer as to whether the vehicle code is on their computer - which it usually is - and make a special mix.  They can also mix excellent matches to a sample.

For example Woody had been resprayed by the previous owner in a dark British Racing Green and I had an exact match aerosol from many years ago and it was called Black British Racing Green but that did not go very far.  Needing some paint to respray the replacement tailgate after doing some repairs to it, I took a piece of the old tailgate into them and they mixed to that pattern and produced an exact match to the old paint - not easy with very dark colours.

Mind you living up to the MUT status I was sorting out part of one of my garages ....... and found a couple of litres of the original paint so had not needed to make the special double trip from the Forest of Dean to Gloucester to get it mixed!

Another example of what they can go is that NAM my Marathon Landcrab had been painted in 1970 for the World Cup with a blue stripe along the side and the bonnet - then for the British Rally Championship in 1971 this was over painted with red.  As I am putting NAM back to World Cup Spec I spent many months trying to find what shade of blue it was and eventually found I could rub through the red and the original blue was underneath. 

Mind you the shade of blue was rather patchy after this rubbing down but being able to identify the patch that was the correct shade of blue they mixed up a couple of litres and an aerosol rattle can for me to the exact match of the correct darker shade.  Price was no more than if I had bought it off ebay or anywhere else as a ready mixed tin.

The final MUT thing was that I went into my local car parts people 1/4 mile down the road for something and in passing asked if they were able to get this sort of thing done ...... and they said they could. 

To test this I asked them to order me in a couple of aerosols of BL/BMC Snowberry White and code WT4 which is the white used on the rest of NAM.  They ordered it in actually using Middletons for this, and had it delivered within 4 hours at the same price as going direct to Middleton in Gloucester and saved me the cost and time of driving in to them.

MUT