Herald fibreglass rear/side valances

Alan Armstrong

Getting to the stage to paint/finish these areas....

On original valences the "bumpers" are made out of rubber and coloured white.

On these fibreglass ones that I have, the "bumpers" are bolted onto the fibreglass...look like they are made from aluminium. 

Mine are currently painted white (looks like Dulux gloss😅)

Can anyone advise on what they have done or know what should be done please?

I think that later/posher OE bumpers were made of aluminium.  They were pop-revitted  to the valance.  LARGE pop rivets to spread the load.

You could do the same, but I'd recommend a washer behind the GRP for the same purpose.

Ali "bumpers" were fitted only to Vitesse. But commonly retro fitted to heralds. (there were some Cosmic aftermarket chrome bumpers too, probably extremely rare now)

If you want to fit the rubber bumpers, remove the ali ones, and you can buy the strips for mounting the rubber bumpers (or could! check Canley Classics, may need a phone call) 

Plan B, remove the ali bumpers and strip them (screwfix no nonsense stripper works, but takes about 24hrs. Paint it on, wrap in ali foil, leave....) then see if they can be used. If so, try to get matching parts for your missing ones, or sell them on. The rear one is tricky to find now as many had been cut for towbars. 

I’d strip the paint and polish them , they look great if they’re in good condition  they can be chromed  a friend of mine has got his chromed this is my herald with aluminium Vitesse bumpers 

IMG_7087.jpeg

Edited by Wendy Dawes

1 hour ago, Alan Armstrong said:

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments...for now just to be functional I intend to keep what I have got.....but...what should i

paint the ally sections...white paint? Rubberised white paint?

Your thoughts please...

Tricky without close inspection. Yph imply they are not, err, well finished. So if household paint has been used it is likely aerosols will react with it. 

Easy solution might be a light rub down and apply a satin white or off white. Or indeed, whatever colour takes your fancy. I wouldn't bother with rubberised paint, it won't be thick enough to fool anybody and has a high chance of going wrong.

One other thought. The very early heralds had no bumpers at all. I ran most of my heralds without them. So unbolt them, fill holes, job done. Low effort, nice sleek look.