Spitfire Delco Distributor ID

Howard81

My 1970 Spitfire IV has a 1500 engine fitted along with a Lucas 45D4 distributor.  This means I have to use a 1500 Smiths rev counter, which doesn't match the MKIV Jaeger speedometer.  I would like to fit a Delco distributor, so I can fit the mechanical MKIV rev counter.

I have a Delco distributor to hand, when I bought it, I was told it was for a MKIV.  It's marked D200 7953166, which I think is from a MK2 Spit..

What do I need to do to use this distributor on my 1500 engine?  Would it work if I bolted it in, or would I need to change the weights inside?  What do I need to do?

I've been offered a D200 7953460 which is for MKIII and early MKIV Spits (my car would have originally had this).  Not sure if that would be any better..

Any ideas?  :)

You may be able to get springs suitable for the mkIV engine, but I know delco spares are hard to come by.
Try H+H ignitions (or whatever they are called) they could probably remap the dizzy to whatever curve you want. Maybe.
Best bet is a proper mkIV one for ease. There should be plenty about. I would have thought :-/

Thing is, my car has a 1975 MG Midget 1500 engine.. ;D

I was wondering if the original spec MKIV distributor would be better to use than the MK2 one I have here.

Currently has a Lucas 45D4, but 1300 and 1500 Dolomites also used these, so the MKIV Delco in theory shouldn't be that far off if anything if fitted to a 1500??

sorry. Should have added that the later mkIV engines would have had the same cam as the 1500, so the best match. Mk2 cam quite different, so advance curve will be too. However, after all these years you just never know....

Archived