Sticking distributor mechanical advance...

JimEB

Hi all,

Whilst fiddling around with my PI in an effort to trace the cause of hesitant revving when pulling away, I found not only that one of the front balance pipes (near the butterfly, not the head) was starting to split, but also that when twisting the rotor arm by hand, it felt notchy and not smooth as expected. This explained the sudden jump in advance whilst revving I'd seen the last time I had the timing light out... So, I guess a strip down of the distributor and thorough clean is in order.

Now to my question - what type of lubricant is correct and where should it be used on the mechanism?

Thanks  :D

(It's the correct, non-vacuum advance 25D type)

Hello Jim,

it's not that critical, for what it's worth I fill my oil can with 20/50 engine oil and that's worked fine for me. It's part of the routine maintenance schedule for two or three drops to be put down the spindle after removing the rotor arm, but as you suggest a strip down and clean then oil the bob weight spindles, and the main spindle when reassembling.
Note to those with electronic devices, fit and forget doesn't apply to the distributor itself.

Alec

Well, the stripdown revealed that the cam was pretty much rusted to the shaft, so no wonder it didn't move smoothly and would sometimes get stuck at some advanced point, leading to variable tickover speed and unsmooth acceleration  :roll:

I took this photo just before removing the cam, so that I'd be able to put everything back together properly and not 180 degrees out... You can see the rust at the top of the cam...

I gave the whole thing a thorough clean, but didn't take the shaft out of the body, since the bearing seemed to be fine.

As for lubrication, I used grease on the action plate under the advance weights and their pivot posts, then engine oil on the cam and shaft.

Having cleaned both fixed and moving parts of the base plate, and because there's no vacuum advance, simply micrometer adjustment, I simply used grease upon reassembly.

Everything is now clean and working smoothly. One advance spring seems to have stretched or is simply the wrong one (I suspect the previous owner had been down there before) so I reckon I've only got one gradient of advance controlled by the primary spring. Nevertheless, the car is now driving much smoother, particularly at lower revs were it had evidently been suffering from a lack of advanced ignition. I'll be able to give it a good road test and fine tune on Friday, when I'll be blasting up to the NEC to work on the Register stand  :D

The moral of this story? If your engine's not pulling well from tickover, twist your rotor arm!

Yes, but the issue is that the larger spring (on the right in the photo above) doesn't go into tension before the cam beak hits the end post...  ;)

I'll call the Distributor Doctor tomorrow  :)

Does anyone know of a Lucas parts manual, listing springs/weights for each distributor?

4247 wrote:
Yes, but the issue is that the larger spring (on the right in the photo above) doesn't go into tension before the cam beak hits the end post...  ;)

I'll call the Distributor Doctor tomorrow  :)

Does anyone know of a Lucas parts manual, listing springs/weights for each distributor?

Fair enough.

Not sure this is exactly what you are after but interesting anyway
http://www.triumphowners.com/uploaded/34/111457_86lucas_dissy_tuning.pdf

Nick