Opinions on shockers

Steve P

Looking for opinions on new shockers for the front of my Vitesse,i discovered my 30 year old Spax are doing nothing on the rebound.

Its got a big heavy 2.5 engine and 480lb springs, i don`t want standard ride height.

Looks like a choice between Koni,Gaz,or Avo.

Anyone used them,Suppliers would be good.

Cheers
Steve

I've got Koni's on the front of my Vitesse, well chuffed with em :)

They're set on the middle of the 3 setting's on my Car but I have standard springs fitted.

If you've got stiffer springs then it maybe best to set them to the harder of the 3 settings if you get some?

Got mine from Canley Classics.

My Vitesse is fitted with AVO adjustable shocks front and rear. They seem to work well. The suspension is not standard, with 440lb springs on the front which are 1" shorter/lower than normal (sourced from Jigsaw). The rear spring is standard with a 1" lowering block. From memory, the AVO shocks have 17 settings from soft to firm. Adjustment is via a knurled knob. When I bought the car, the front was set to 8 and the rear 6. After experimenting, I have front set to 4 (from soft) and rear to 3 (again, from soft). The other part of the equation is 175/65x13 tyres running at 26F/28R pressure.

Watch out for the AVO dampers.

Early ones had a proper, full width outer tube bush for the bottom bolt and are fine.  Later ones have a much narrower tube (designed to be able to accept a spherical bearing as well) and EAT the bushes repeatedly.  I get about 5 -6k miles before metal to metal.

This subject has been covered before on here and on Sideways tech

Nick