Ignitor, sports coil, fat gaps

Mac

Fitted the ignitor and flamethrower with 0.40' gaps yesterday in about an hour.

With the contact breaker setup turned the engine over with a lamp on N.1 pushing the car forward until lamp flashed, left engine in that position. Installed the conversion then turned dissy until lamp flashed, was just a few degrees away from where it had been before. Went for a spin, runs fine, very smooth, revs to 6500 no problem, higher idle probalby more stable than before after lowering.

One thing I noticed. Before, when going slow over big bumps, sleepin policeman and the like I had to either jam me right foot against the cockpit wall or lift it off the gas to avoid my foot bouncing slightly on the pedal and making the car "jump" on the throttle. After the conversion it has much less of a tendency to do this, maybe something to do with the engine runnning smoother dunno, sounds less like a rough brit sportscar, which is maybe the only thing I could miss.

Sounds like a good result Mac. I noticed a smoother engine at tickover but my engine idles a little on the lumpy side probably because of the cam and lightened flywheel. I always keep a set of points in the boot with other spares but, now I have sorted the earthing, should have no need to go backwards to points.

Neil

Hi Neil,
Yeah mines a bit lumpy too, like that.
Biggest thing I noticed was engine ran a lot lot smoother all through the range, sort of miss the rugged old sportscar feel a bit, but givit a few more runs. Also keeping the points, condenser and screws etc in the boot, gonna make a kit with leads, coil, etc.
Left the old white wire from fuse to coil dicsconnected and taped up both ends so I can go back to points quick, connected black wire from ignitor there, earthed positive side of coil.

Engine runs quieter at low revs after conversion too.
Wonder what difference it makes to power and fuel consumption.

Archived