type 12/14 calipers

Neilriser

Hi all,i have a 1968 1200 herald which im rebuilding,i have type 12 caliphers which were factory fitted [it was at the crossover period and they must have used surplus stock] the pistons and rubbers are shot and replacements are over 60 pounds.However the type 14 are half the price and calipers available.What if any are the pros and cons for sticking with type 12 or changing to type 14 please.Regards Neil

I'd go for type 14.  Might just possibly be clearance issues between caliper and hub (not likely with a 68 car), which are easy enough to resolve.

I swapped them over on my 1200. That had drums from the factory, got changed to type 12, then to type 14 a few years later without any issues that I recall, and finally to Vitesse 2L.

Nick

I recently fitted a pair of reproduction type 14s to a former type 12 car. The clearance issues were somewhat greater than I remember with previous conversions using oritinal type 14s, so worth keeping that in mind.

Having stupidly used my last set of Timken bearings in the original hubs, I used an angle grinder against the spinning hub to create the necessary clearance. Sounds brutal, but worked surprisingly well, though the amount of metal I needed to remove was significant.

Cheers,
Bill.