trunnion bushes

LouisW

Got round to fitting my trunnion bushes today and have some questions. When fitting the first bushes the plastic bush went in fine and the metal tube was tight but not overly so. The second however I noticed a hairline crack on the bush and the bushes wouldn't fit without a vice and the metal tubes were also incredibly tight. I've heard that the metal sleeve should rotate? I doubt it will in the second, might not in the first!

I believe the metal sleeve rotates on the bolt and the sleeves (sometimes) rotate in the bushes. I'm honestly not sure.

One thing I do know however is that I utterly hate the cheap plastic bushes. Better to get some Superflex ones.

Those plastic ones.. you so much as cough in their general direction and they crack. :-/

There are plenty of cheap poor quality trunion bushes out there, took me sometime to get a decent set for the rear after I eventually went to Canley classics.

The bolt tightens allowing the vertical link on the rear or brass trunion on the front to pivot. If the tube is too short the whole joint will end up being solid and it won't pivot.

8778 wrote:
I believe the metal sleeve rotates on the bolt and the sleeves (sometimes) rotate in the bushes. I'm honestly not sure.

This is not the way they are intended to work. The intent is that the bolt and sleeve are locked between the wishbone halves and the plastic can turn on the sleeve or in the trunnion. The important bit being that the plastic has the sliding on one of its surfaces.
                                                                                 Cheers,
                                                                                 Paul