J type gearbox mountings

taffs2win

I have recently purchased a MK2 2000 saloon with a J type overdrive.  I have had the gearbox out to fix an issue with the starter ring gear.  When I removed the gearbox cross member it was held on by different bolts and spacers than are included in the kit that I purchased from Rimmers.  What came off the car appeared to be cut down tubes as spacers plus numerous washers and other odds and ends.  I thought this was a case of a previous owner not having the correct parts to refit the box.  When I use the Rimmer kit the rear of the box is too high and you cannot attach the propshaft.  To get the car back together I have bought new bolts of 60mm length and a number of nuts to use as spacers.  I suspect somewhere some one can tell me what should be fitted and what dimension spacer I need to use to mount the box at the correct height to match the propshaft.

J'type, yes you need the spacers, I can't remember the length but they are longer than the Auto gearbox spacers. A'type and non-O/D do not need the spacers.

This is why I prefer the A'type O/D as the driveline sits better in the shell. Try Chris Witor or Wins for (SH), not sure if Canley lists them or Fitchett, Earlpart......

ps whilst refitting the box did you make sure the two dowel bolts were fitted between the back-play and they gearbox? They are 3/8UNF and are 180 degrees apart on the back-plate, the purpose is to accurately locate the engine to gearbox. My first PI did not have these bolts fitted and it cost me two flywheels before I dicovered the reason.  :(

Archived