Nick Jones

I'm looking for a bare gearbox casing from a saloon, TR or Sprint, preferably a knackered one.....

What?? Is he mad..... well yes, obviously, this isn't news, but there is method to it:

I'm just wanting the bellhousing section for an evil plan involving a Toyota W58 gearbox, so would be chopping the actual gear-case off.  Thus it doesn't matter if the laygear thrust surfaces or layshaft bore is damaged.  I'd rather not chop up a useable casing (I have one ex-Sprint) if possible.

Cheers

Nick

piman wrote:
Hello Nick,

sorry I can't help but that sounds like some precision engineering will be involved?

Alec

Yes..... I'll probably need some help with that as I can only get down to about 1/2mm with my tape measure.  The Vitesse version is still working after some (very) thorough testing though and that was done with tape measure technology (seriously!) but it involved alot of fiddling about to arrive at the correct positioning.  Not such a problem with a removable tunnel.  Needs a better approach for the saloon!

Nick

Dave2000 wrote:
Is there any difference between manual and auto?  (I assume there is)  Only asking as I have a knackered auto sat in the yard you can have - been sat there almost 10 years....  ??)

That is a very interesting point.  I don't know, but if it has any resemblance to the 1850/Sprint auto then it might have a separate bell housing - which might be very useful indeed........  Pics anyone?

Cheers

Nick

Dave2000 wrote:
Is there any difference between manual and auto?  (I assume there is)  Only asking as I have a knackered auto sat in the yard you can have - been sat there almost 10 years....  ??)

well,if nick doesn't want it,i'll have it.

as nick nows i'm in the throws of the same conversion.

at the moment i'm experimenting and am in the process of making jigs for machining down saloon bellhousings to weld to adapter plates for the w58.
i already have a manual bellhousing but there could be some credibility in using an auto one seeing as it is round at the interface.

MarkDeTriomphe wrote:
Some pictures :

Nick - if you are interested, you can have the bellhousing  ... and free up Dave's for esxefi (or vice versa)

Mark

Mark,

Thanks, I'll take you up on that if I may - leaving esxefi fist dibs on Daves (but thanks Dave!).  Not sure the auto route will be the easiest (will have to come up with an alternative clutch arrangement for sure) but would be good to have a proper look!

The Vitesse/GT6 bell is what I used when I did the Vitesse conversion.  That can definitely only be done as a cut and shut with the Toyota bell.  The saloon and Vitesse engine backplates are different I believe - never had two side by side to compare so not exactly sure what the differences are but might make things harder?

Cheers

Nick

Archived