How To Fit Speedo Drivegear

Will It Ever Run Again

Hi all,

I need to fit a new speedo drivegear onto the mainshaft of a '77 1500 Spit. The drivegear is of course plastic and I've already destroyed 2 trying to fit one on. I've lubricated the main shaft and i've heated the drivegear in boiling water hoping to expand it but still it's so tight it has to be banged on and the plastic simply snaps.

Has anyone replaced one successfully please and how on earth did you do it????

Thanks!

Steve

I wouldn't expect it to be that tight but then I only really have experience with overdrive boxes. On those, the speedo drive gear is metal and quite a loose fit, merely clamped in place by the rear flange. Check you have the right parts and that there's nothing stuck to the shaft that shouldn't be there.

Thanks. This is definitely meant to be tight though as there's no clamp or anything else holding it on other than friction. The gear is plastic around a thin metal ring and some people (on another forum) have suggested if i use a metal tube of similar dimensions to the metal ring and bash it on using that. Sounds plausible if I could find such a tube.

Steven,

If you haven't tossed them already, the metal rings from the broken gears can be used as the tube that pushes directly on the new gear. You can use something else that might not be suitable to push on the gear to push on that ring.

Regards,

Paul