Input Shafts on 1500 overdrive gearbox

Baldry1500

Does anyone know if there is one more than one type of input shaft used on spit 1500 gearboxes with overdrive?

I've acquired a recon gbox and when i went to put the bell housing on i realised that the recon box has a aout an inch of wider shaft which catches on the bell housing and causes the shaft to lock up. I am planning on calling the supplier in the morning but wanted to know if anybody had any experience of this?

Time is getting tight for the RBRR when i consider i also have the driveshaft UJ's and a new hood to fit. I could really have done without this delay as i was hoping to have fitted the new box tonight.

Yes.

Earlier ones have a scroll type seal and later ones have a proper lip seal.  The scroll/lip seal are located in the bellhousing and each needs a different size shaft.  I can't remember which is larger, but a look in your bell-housing will show which type it wants.

The actual seal carrier is separate from the bell-housing and could be tapped out and swapped for the matching one.  I'd only suggest doing this if it gets you an upgrade to the lip seal.....

Nick

Your bellhousing looks to be alloy?  Therefore must be an aftermarket one and I seem to remember hearing of this issue before with one of these.  Does your original seal carrier have the dowel and fit properly?  Have to say that an awful lot of repro parts seems to have quality issues.

I'm not quite sure what the dowel is supposed to achieve. It will stop the seal housing rotating in the bell housing, but it's a fairly tight fit and should not be seeing much force likely to make it rotate anyway.  Removing the dowel and fitting with loctite might be one option.  Drilling a new dowel hole in the bell housing to suit it might be another.  Can't remember if there is any specific orientation needed (oil drain hole in the seal carrier?).

Should probably discuss with the parts supplier before doing anything drastic.

Nick