o/d gearbox knackered

Davemate

My gearbox has been making a reasonable whine on overun and a slight whine in gears 1,2 and 3 when driving
I have not driven the car for a week whilst sorting out the insurance. Today i have just popped to the shops and the box is now whineing quite badly in gears 1,2and 3 a new sound which sounds like something catching has appeared as well.
The new sound is only in 1,2and 3 as soon as 4th in engaged i can not get the sound to appear.
The release bearing does have a moan ocasionally when the clutch pedal is depressed but when the pedal is raised a tiny bit it stops the noise
Due to the whine in 1,2and 3 and am thinking its the layshaft bearings are now shot to bits !
so is gearbox out -----then what
i have never taken a box apart, so whats the score do i just get a new box or is there something i can do myself
when the box comes out i will check the release bearing
the clutch was new ish when i bought the engine and box the seller told me and i have no reason to not belive him
he said the clutch had only done about 500 miles
as the box had sat in a shed for a few months its quite possable that the bearing may have got a stiff the box has been in my car
for a couple of years now and its been fine

who does recon 1500 overdrive gearboxes ?
is it easy to get the overdrive off the box ?
with the box out how do you check the bearing inside ?

i'll take the car down to the plough tomorrow night and anyone there can have a drive and see what they think !!!

Hello Dave,

it is a practical DIY job, as long as you have a workshop manual to guide you. The overdrive comes off quite easily but can be difficult to refit. The issue is the internal splines, as there are two internal splined rotating parts and they must both be aligned perfectly (There only appears to be one when you look into the unit.) When using the jacking screws do not overtighten them as the adapter plate will crack.

Alec

Dave, whine in lower gears could be  worn layshaft / needles, either shaft or laygear hardning gone.
or you got  NO oil int box, and this has gone with every thing.!!!!

but could also be worn rear box bearing, but this is mare a rumbline sound than a whine.
you wont can see this, and it will feel fine to turn, but its gone on the inner race.

both will dissapear with top,as no leaverage is on the rear shaft part.
putting OD back on can be tricky, a spare shaft helps alot.
D Types have to have the lines on the gears aligned too. [ or is it a type, so long ago noo ]

worn internal bearing, that did me Heed in .

good luk, M

About four weeks ago I changed the oil the correct amount came out and the correct amount whent back in. There was some swarf on the drain plug !
The box is from a spit 1500 so I presume it's a single rail.
I do know it's a "j type" overdrive
Not sure if it's worth doing myself or wether to just get a re con one,I could balls it up and be worse off

Well you have to take the OD off anyway if you are getting a recon box, so that is the first part out of the way.

Then it is just a simple dismantle job following the instructions.

Mike Papworth for gearboxes.

Hopefully I'll be there tonight we can have a chat.

Cheers

Archived