sahtuning2000

My mates mk1 estate(ex dawson)is starting to come together now,its had a replacement rear screen fitted,the terrible vibration has been sorted(totalled rear g/box mount)but it still seems very gutless on accelaration,now it used to be an auto when new,but is now a MOD,will the auto diff make it worse or better(worse i hope!!)
And what numbers are MOD diffs,he has it listed when i serviced it.

As it is now a 2500 and also now manual, maybe it should have the 3.45:1 diff fitted, that all 2.5 or 2500 manual cars had from new? would be sure to make a difference.

Not sure though if you would need to source a 2.5pi mk1 diff or whether a mk2 diff from a 2500 or 2.5 would slot right in.

This would also help me as I have a whole rear axle, hubs and all, from a mk2 2500s that I was thinking of putting on our mk1 estate, do I need to install the whole or just the diff?

Donald

All diffs are essentially the same, just different ratio's.

But, the backplates are different. All MKI and Estates (incl MKII Estates) have one type of backplate with a large mounting bar on the back, MKII Saloons have a smaller backplate with small mounting bar.

You can change the backplates over to convert from one to the other.

MKI suspension is different, short driveshafts and a narrower track, and manually adjusting rear brakes. It is a good conversion to chuck the whole MKII rear end in, will give a wider track, better brakes..

All diffs are essentially the same, just different ratio's.

But, the backplates are different. All MKI and Estates (incl MKII Estates) have one type of backplate with a large mounting bar on the back, MKII Saloons have a smaller backplate with small mounting bar.

You can change the backplates over to convert from one to the other.

MKI suspension is different, short driveshafts and a narrower track, and manually adjusting rear brakes. It is a good conversion to chuck the whole MKII rear end in, will give a wider track, better brakes..

Archived