...Rear halfshafts.....

Scimher

..I have a 'deceased' rear offside wheel bearing..(&, no doubt, a ruined driveshaft to go with it.. )...I'm just wondering whether it would be worth getting these..eBay no. 201424189136 - sorry perhaps someone with more idea than me could post the link..
My car is a late '64 Herald 1200 convertible registered early Feb. '65 - I have no idea whether they changed through the life of the cars & whether if these are '13/60' ones, for example, they would be interchangeable?
Many thanks for any help & advice given.....

Perhaps I should point out that the selfsame driveshaft & bearing was replaced new (from a reputable supplier) about 6yrs. ago.....& 17/18,000miles max.  

....They're the little babies, Andy - thanks so much for posting the link & for your comments. The only thing that rings a distant chord is that the diameter of the driveshaft, itself, changed..(they were beefed-up.) during the life of the 1200....(unless I'm imagining it...)
Will get my bid in.....  

Quoted from Scimher
The only thing that rings a distant chord is that the diameter of the driveshaft, itself, changed..(they were beefed-up.) during the life of the 1200....(unless I'm imagining it...)
Will get my bid in.....  

The driveshaft remained essentially unchanged throughout production. I suspect the change you're thinking of is to the differential output shafts, these were increased in thickness with the introduction of the 13/60, in turn commonised to late 1200s,

Cheers,
Bill.

....Thanks very much, Bill - from a message from the vendor, I gather he's bought a couple of Triumphs from a deceased estate.....a 1500 Dolomite & a 13/60 Herald convertible, together with spare parts; so I assume these driveshafts to be 13/60.....
I've won them so would guess that they both should be fitted, rather than just the offside one.....  

Quoted from Pete Lewis
Axle and many half shafts develope a torsional memory,
so keep the n/s on the n/s and the o/s to the o/s  or you can end up with a bent one not long afterfitting it

Or commonly with older live axles, a clean break. It's good advice to maintain the orientation of the shafts, something which is all too rarely mentioned with 'our' cars,

Cheers,
Bill.

...Thanks Pete & Bill for responding - still a bit confused though......do your comments mean that both the acquired driveshafts should be fitted or can I get away with just the defective offside - (they're 'handed' aren't they 'cos of the brackets so there is no question of fitting them the opposite way around...)..??
Sorry if I'm being completely thick or obtuse here....  

Quoted from Scimher
do your comments mean that both the acquired driveshafts should be fitted or can I get away with just the defective offside

No need to change both at the same time. Although I would say fit new brake cylinders or use the ones already on your car if they are known good.

Also check the state of the U/J's before fitting.

....Thanks for the link, Bill. Talking of links, if you have a moment to check the eBay link above in an earlier post, the intention is to fit the 'leg' in its entirety which, I assume, will mean no messing around with UJs - unless, of course, the one fitted to the replacement unit is defective......
Geoff.

I lean towards changing the UJs and trunnion bushes as a matter of course, though getting correct bushes has become a problem. The UJs may well be OK, but pump fresh grease through and articulate them well to see what the old grease is like when it's forced out. If it looks like it's been in there a long time, assume the joint is past it's best.
Dismantle the bushes and assess them at the very least, about 70% of those I deal with have to be cut apart through seizure. The pictured shafts look clean so hopefully well maintained,

Cheers,
Bill.