spitfire driveshaft

LouisW

Been removing the ujs from the rear driveshaft flanges but noticed that the cup which holds the uj which is connected to the driveshaft is cracked. Am I right in thinking I need a whole new driveshaft? Do you think that I could weld it instead as I really can't afford a new driveshaft...

7112 wrote:
Been removing the ujs from the rear driveshaft flanges but noticed that the cup which holds the uj which is connected to the driveshaft is cracked. Am I right in thinking I need a whole new driveshaft? Do you think that I could weld it instead as I really can't afford a new driveshaft...

You mean the yoke has a split ?

Snap! Same problem here.

I was changing my UJs this week (after ten years of knocking!) and found that one yoke was cracked. My immediate thought was the same - that the whole axle would have to be replaced, which is a pity because the shaft and bearing seem fine. I don't have a spare axle or a proper hub puller either, so took it to my local Triumphologist. He couldn't do the job before Easter, and I plan to take the car to work next week - 750km each way - so he's going to weld it up instead. I should be able to pick it up today.

If it isn't strong enough I will post here, probably from a roadside in rural Australia.