Mk2 Auto/Manual Prop. & Drive Shafts

Mj17

As it looks like the 2.5 will have to take me London to Stoke on Trent and back a fair few time for my current work project I guess I should stop ignoring some of the clonks that come out of the old bus and fix them.

Got a vibration around 60 (I'm guessing prop.) - is the one on my auto parts car the same length as the manual?  If it's not any better, at least I have one on the car to drive the other to get it re-jointer/balanced!

Also getting clonks getting on the power and making fast/sharp turns (thinking drive shaft splines) - again any dfference auto/manual?

As always, thank for any help.

Mj17

The props are completely different but as far as I know the driveshafts are the same for manual and auto.

The auto propshaft simply slides into the 'box.  I seem to remember that you undo the 4 bolts at the diff flange and just pull the prop out of the autobox.  And all the oil runs into your face and down your neck.....

The BW35 autobox is the one where the prop slides into the back of the 'box.  You can buy a recon prop for about £70 but there is also a splined bush in the back of the gearbox  which I suppose could be worn.  This is only a tenner or so and I assume easy to change.

Mine gets a nasty vibration when travelling uphill on motorways at 80+ mph which I suspect emanates form this area.

Driveshaft splines can certainly cause clonks.

PM me if you are in the Stoke area and fancy a swift pint!

Nope!

Manual boxes have flanges at both ends.

Auto's use a spline on one end and a flange on the other.

I have a spare Manual prop if you need one. Don't know how long it will last, but good enough to either try or use as a reconditoning one.

If you are doing London to Stoke, you are coming pretty close to me, I can always come out and meet you somewhere to drop if off to you.

Sam (Wife and Red-Headed RBRR Co-pilot) has just come out of Hospital, so I am working light from home this week to look after her for a few days, so if you need to meet up, I am around.

PM me a number if you want to chat.

Prop is free if you need it...............might cost you a virtual beer though!!

Archived