Steering wheel hub activating horn!!

molten

Hi
Just ned a little electrical know-how.

Motolita steering wheel boss activated horn when the boss touches the horn ring :-/

Anyone know what i have done wrong?

The earth strap on the knuckle is connected from one side over to the other. I have not put an earth strap from the steering rack to the chassis. Is that my problem?

Thanks fella's

scott

I have the same problem on both my GT6's one with a Motolita steering wheel and one with a standard wheel. I believe the problem with the original s'wheel is the fact that the horn contact ring, situated behind the steering wheel,  is cracked and does not sit level so when you turn the steering wheel it closes the horn contact. The other I have not investigated as yet but I believe if I move the steering wheel away from the boss it will clear the problem. You should be able to do this by slackening the clamp, two bolts but not the preset grub screw, on the steering column, the one next to the bulkhead in the foot well behind the pedals, then pull the steering wheel back and away from the boss to give a little more clearance. I should be able to tell you more in a day or two once I have tested my own theory.

3762 wrote:
I have the same problem on both my GT6's one with a Motolita steering wheel and one with a standard wheel. I believe the problem with the original s'wheel is the fact that the horn contact ring, situated behind the steering wheel,  is cracked and does not sit level so when you turn the steering wheel it closes the horn contact. The other I have not investigated as yet but I believe if I move the steering wheel away from the boss it will clear the problem. You should be able to do this by slackening the clamp, two bolts but not the preset grub screw, on the steering column, the one next to the bulkhead in the foot well behind the pedals, then pull the steering wheel back and away from the boss to give a little more clearance. I should be able to tell you more in a day or two once I have tested my own theory.

This is more than likely the problem, this contact ring can come loose too, it's happened to me on my first Herald?

Increasing the gap between the steering wheel and the column should solve it 4 a while, but if cracked, repair or replace, if loose retighten.