Canleys uprated hubs or GT6 hubs?

BiTurbo228

Hi there,

Just wondering whether people would think it necessary to plump for the uprated Canley alloy front hubs (plus beefier stub axles and bearings) for a fast-road (170bhp+) Spit6/GT6, or whether standard GT6 hubs, bearings and stub axle would do the job?

Obviously from an unsprung weight point of view the Canleys kit is far superior, but a recent spate of unreliability in the moderns of our fleet has forced a bit of cost-cutting....

TR6s use the standard Spitfire/Herald bearings......

The GT6/Vitesse bearings are the same as used on the big saloons....

Suspect either will be entirely adequate providing good quality ones are used.

You might find this interesting too if you've not seen it already
Sorry , link no longer available

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
TR6s use the standard Spitfire/Herald bearings......

The GT6/Vitesse bearings are the same as used on the big saloons....

Suspect either will be entirely adequate providing good quality ones are used.

You might find this interesting too if you've not seen it already
Sorry , link no longer available

Nick

Now those are interesting. Just picked up a set thanks

Quoted from GT6 M
frae what ive seen and heard, nearly all the alloy hubs end up spinning the bearing, so end up wid a kernakered hub.

Never ever had a wheel bearing prob on a GT type
secret is plenty of maintainance and re packing noo an then with fresh grease.

M

So between both comments I think I'll plump for a GT6 setup if I can get hold of some hubs reasonably should save me enough money to get those bearing spacers

Quoted from CHRIS211083
The alloy hubs from Canleys have the races lock tighted in so no rotation on those. The bearing are good quality and have seals on the bearings each end. I'm very happy with mine but the Gt6 ones will also work fine.

Chris.

Oh bugger seals! I've just ordered all the bits I needed in one go to save postage but forgot the seals!

I'll probably upgrade to them in a year or two when I make my slant-4 Spit. That way I can use the GT6 hubs for that and the Canleys for the 6-cyl

Stock GT6/Vitesse hubs are prone to spinning the inner bearing race.

This was a well known issue in the trade. We sold out of useable s/h hubs many years ago. Anything up to 50% of our core units were scrap at the time as a result of having worn inner race dimensions.

Scroll on a few years and things were getting critical on the availabilty front with customers cars off the road needing hubs. We had cars in our workshops for weeks whilst we tried to track down good s/h hubs back in the 90's.

Quoted from CHRIS211083
No because it needs to be perfectly centered. its now freely rotating front and back race.

Ah, that's not great...

Would fitting the bearing sleeves mentioned earlier help share the load out between the two bearing outer surfaces, or do you already have them?

Quoted from GT6 M
frae what ive seen and heard, nearly all the alloy hubs end up spinning the bearing, so end up wid a kernakered hub.

Never ever had a wheel bearing prob on a GT type
secret is plenty of maintainance and re packing noo an then with fresh grease.

M

Me neither seen them with totally shaged inner bearing spun on the spigot to the point of near welding but no movement on outer race to hub I have a mountain load of Gt6 Vitesse hubs all with tight races. A few years ago my mate who has also never seen a spun inner bearing outer (He has a load of them too) calved a bearing on the way to Stafford he nursed it packing it with grease for many miles. When he got there he had to cut and split the inner race to get it off but the outer race was not spun. New bearing kit fixed it. If spun outer races are so common surely it would have done in this case ?

Laurence

I've spoken to Dave at canleys and he said that he has over 900 kits sold and no issues with them spining the races. As there is no movement in the race, just it rotates I'm going to clean the hub and then apply Loctite 603 to the edge of the race and let it drain into what ever gap there might be. Will do both inner and outer bearing races as both are able to spin. That should hold them fine and the bearings look fine so all should be good.

Chris.

Quoted from CHRIS211083
I've spoken to Dave at canleys and he said that he has over 900 kits sold and no issues with them spining the races. As there is no movement in the race, just it rotates I'm going to clean the hub and then apply Loctite 603 to the edge of the race and let it drain into what ever gap there might be. Will do both inner and outer bearing races as both are able to spin. That should hold them fine and the bearings look fine so all should be good.

Chris.

899 kits !

"and no issues with them spining the races" That is not what the internet says !

Aluminium is absolutely fine.

For mounting unloaded bearings in drills and washing machines.

Laurence

Quoted from John Bonnett
So how many of the kits sold have actually driven and survived the mileage Chris has done?

Its been on sale for small chassis Triumph's for getting on for 15 years.

Its fitted as standard to all the latest generation Caterhams (approx 15 years).

There is an aftermarket for Caterhams for replacement hubs, but only because they damage them regularly in their one make race series. The same reason sales of steering arms, track rod ends, etc go up over the race season.

We have never sold a Triumph owner a replacement hub.