I need some help finding insurance coverage for my GT6 while my car is in England.  I reached the tipping point on the age of the car at 30 years and my previous insurer (Aviva) will not provide coverage.  Can someone help to  provide contact information for insurance. I would prefer if you had a name of a person you may have worked with in the past.  Please advise.  :o

I use Peter james as well. they are very good. I have all my classics on one policy which is very cost effective. Another named driver is £15 as quoted above. On the odd occasion I have need Breakdown Assistance I have had a really good service, even on a public holiday in France earlier this year.

Pat. I use the US company Hagerty.  They insure us and our cars while overtheir.  They know all about the RBRR and have even given a donation for the caharity.  
their web site in the US has the England phone number.  They are located at the
silverstone track.  Tell them you know me.  They have insured my car ever since I bought it and as you know I leave it in England.  Extra drivers are no charge and you can change them as often as you wish.   I think they give full coverage for shipment.  Full brakedown coverage is included.  I think the carge is fair and amount depends on the agreed value of the car.  Pictures are all they need.

If you are shipping through Baltimore you and team are welcome to stop by.  I leave for England Monday and back on Oct 8th.

Looking forward to seeing you again on the run:  Bill

Regardless of which insurance company is being used, one problem that might be encountered is the the fact that the car in question is not a UK registered car.

When I was importing cars from Europe, I required UK insurance on the cars in order to register them in the UK (and hence get a UK registration number) but very few companies were prepared to insure the car with the foreign registration number - but without the insurance it was not possible to get a UK number - daft, but when have insurance companies and the DVLA been sensible.

The other problem that may be encountered in the future is insurance for use elsewhere in Europe, such as for taking part in the 10CR.  As Pat (and Goody) does not have a UK or European driving licence, insurance companies will be reluctant to allow them to be added as named drivers on the Certificate of Insurance, and so will not be insured when outside the UK - for short periods (in the UK) non UK/European licence holders are normally insured via a cover note, but a cover note is not normally valid (under green card rules) outside the UK.

Someone in the USAF based in the UK or Germany may be able to provide details of how they insure their US registered cars in the UK and Germany.

KevinR: You are correct as far as I know. Thats why I use Hagerty.  For us they understand what we do and have no problem driver's licence origin.  Not only can I have a England registered car but can bring over any of my US registered classic cars. I am and was fully covered on the 10CR.

I am posting the info for Pat as I beleive he can get the insurance he needs in time for the run even if his car is allready in England. No muss no fuss.   He might need someone in England that the papperworks is posteed to due to time.

Not to speek ill of any UK Co. Pat only has about aweek to get this done.  

By the way Hagerty only insures classic cars. (over 25yrs)

Goody wrote:
KevinR: You are correct as far as I know. Thats why I use Hagerty.  For us they understand what we do and have no problem driver's licence origin.  Not only can I have a England registered car but can bring over any of my US registered classic cars. I am and was fully covered on the 10CR.

I am posting the info for Pat as I beleive he can get the insurance he needs in time for the run even if his car is allready in England. No muss no fuss.   He might need someone in England that the papperworks is posteed to due to time.

Not to speek ill of any UK Co. Pat only has about aweek to get this done.  

By the way Hagerty only insures classic cars. (over 25yrs)

Bill, I suspected that you might have already solved the problem for a Yank visiting UK/Europe with a car.

When someone wants to do something "non standard", the normal reaction from the insurance companies is NO, we won't insure you - they are so driven by their computers that they cannot be flexible enough to do the non standard stuff manually.

I used to have problems insuring my classic moped because it was too new to be a classic, and was so rare that it was not listed as a manufacturer / model on the insurance companies computers.  It's now insured on a classic bike policy with Peter James.

Pat - can you send me details of your previous Aviva policy and I'll see if I can find out if we can help - I work for Aviva and they came up with a result when I couldn't find anyone to cover a random American I drove a previous RBRR with. I'll send you my Aviva work email by pm

Thank you for all the feedback.  Now here is the story.  I have used Aviva (Norwich Union) to insure my last two RBRR cars (2004 and 2006).  At that time, they had no issue with insuring a car using my US registration number.  That seems to have changed. All but one insurance company will not provide insurance without a UK registration number. The one who does, basically provides a certificate which allows you to register your car with the DVLA.

Not is all lost, as Goody had indicated, my Classic Car Insurance Company, Hagerty Insurance, provides a service in conjunction with a UK insurer, Allianz Ins.  The application is complete and sent to the UK office. Now comes the waiting game.  My new friend at Hagerty, Lisa, has put a priority on the appliation and hopefully we get something in the next day or so.  In the mean time, it is off to perform every superstitous ritual known to man to bring the good luck needed to get this done.  To start out, a small lamb was previously sacrificed in an effort to bring this good luck.  The lamb was delicious.  

One quick note, someone said Peter James had an age limit of 25. Just to clarify, that is vehicle age not driver age. They are one of a select few you will insure us younguns for less that 4grand!

I liked them until everyone said "£15 to add a driver". They charged me £31.50 to add Darren! If anything, I'd say my risk had decreased by adding an older driver.

1045 wrote:
One quick note, someone said Peter James had an age limit of 25. Just to clarify, that is vehicle age not driver age. They are one of a select few you will insure us younguns for less that 4grand!

I liked them until everyone said "£15 to add a driver". They charged me £31.50 to add Darren! If anything, I'd say my risk had decreased by adding an older driver.

2 different policies.

One designed for under 25's and one designed for over 25's.

Still good value for bothe age groups.

Cheers

Colin

KevinR wrote:
Regardless of which insurance company is being used, one problem that might be encountered is the the fact that the car in question is not a UK registered car.

When I was importing cars from Europe, I required UK insurance on the cars in order to register them in the UK (and hence get a UK registration number) but very few companies were prepared to insure the car with the foreign registration number  .

RH specalist insured mine using the chassis number!

Archived