Visit to WW1 sites

I plan to benefit from the flexible ferry return and spend another day or two on the way home to visit some battlefields/tunnels/trenches/museums/memorials. Anyone else interested? I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has done such a trip.

Tim 

Hi Tim

We're thinking of doing likewise but going to Bruges for a couple of days on the way back. I think any visit to the WW1 area has to include Ieper (Ypres), the last post ceremony at the Menin gate every night at 20:00 and the Flanders Fields museum are both worth a visit. Any of the major allied war cemeteries are well worth a visit and I would also include a visit to one of the german ones, equally moving, but a different way of doing it from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Dave   

Thanks Dave, some good suggestions there. I love Bruges, wonderfully preserved medieval buildings and canals to explore and all within easy walking distance so you can just leave the  car at a central hotel and wander around on foot. Not to mention the great food and beer!

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Howard's was the only +ve response to date so at present there will be two crews on the pilgrimage. The plan is Sunday pm 8th September Lochnagar Crater near Albert then the Wellington Tunnels, Arras. Stay the night in Arras. Monday morning Vimy Memorial Park. Monday pm Ypres, Flanders Fields Museum, Menin Gate last post ceremony at 20.00. Stay overnight in Ypres. Tuesday Passchendaele Museum, Tyne Cot Cemetery, preserved trenches at Sanctuary Wood. Chris and I will return on the 18.00 DFDS Dunkirk-Dover on Tuesday 10th September while Howard takes the Tunnel Shuttle. Anyone else fancy joining us?

Tim

Hi Tim, Howard. We visited some years ago and, in particular, spent some time at the New Irish Farm cemetery as well as the more visited areas. The scale of it all defies description really. Do be prepared for it to be a very moving experience, especially if you are searching for, and subsequently find, a specific grave.

Hi Michael,

A few years ago I visited the Alamain battlefield in Egypt & the rows of crosses were a sad reminder of the young British, Italian & Germans who died there believing in what they were fighting for.

My two uncles were the lucky ones & survived WW1, but only in the last few years have any details of their service come to light. They fought in some of the major battles at Ypres and Arras but never said much about that time so its a personal pilgrimage.

H