Brexit - International Driving Permits Required

Howard

Depending on what happens with Brexit is is likely that in addition to a Green Card we will need multiple one international driving permit for this 10CR. The following details are copied from the https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit web site which lists the permits required for each country.

1. 1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein
  2. 1949 permit to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus
  3. 1968 permit to drive in all other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland

It may be necessary to obtain all three versions from your local post office (on line and postal applications no longer allowed!) so suggest you apply sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Howard

Mike

I suspect that even the Almighty himself has no idea what is going to happen with Brexit!!

Since the only time I will be back in the UK before the 10CR is March & I need a IDP for a holiday outside Europe I looked up the new rules & felt it would be a good idea to post the details for everyone else's benefit.

Cheers

Howard

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-

Appreciate it, don`t get me wrong, because we will need to know with the continental trips planned.......but at the eleventh hour I can see the Eu backing down....and all will be hunky dory 

The info about IDPs comes from the UK government not the EU. On just about every issue the EU is taking the "we'll do what ever the UK does to us" stance. Therefore non EU driving licences issued in the UK won't valid just as many others aren't. I get up to 30 notifications per day from UKgouv, mostly talking about what migt happen or could well happen if there is no agreement.  There is a huge lack of info about what will happen IF there IS an agreement.

Time is running out you need Mrs May and her mates to agree to what they will sign off. Don't forget it is the UK leaving the club. A bit like me leaving this one but still demanding I get club member discount at the shop.

Whatever happens when you come over to France we'll still let you keep the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car

• 2 weeks later...

People that use Footman James for their insurance will have had an email asking for a form to be filled in NOW. The form asks if and where you will be travelling abroad and the dates of travel. This is so that Green Cards can be issued on or before 29 March. One of the things they state is the following:-

"From 29 March 2019, in the event that the UK leaves the EU with no deal in place, UK drivers taking their vehicles to the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Andorra or Serbia may need a motor insurance Green Card."

So, it seems that if we leave with no deal it will become mega complicated on so many levels (look at the other thread on environmental zones!), on the other hand if we leave with a deal will that deal be sufficient to keep in place all the harmonisation agreements developed over the last 40 years?

So, it seems that if we leave with no deal it will become mega complicated on so many levels (look at the other thread on environmental zones!), on the other hand if we leave with a deal will that deal be sufficient to keep in place all the harmonisation agreements developed over the last 40 years?

Ask Ms May - she is in charge and knows all the answers