Hello All!

As you might recall Team Torpedo include twelve Americans who bought four cars in England heading over for the 10CR.  

2000 Mk II Estate
1300 FWD (Flipper)
Dolomite Sprint
2000 Mk I Saloon

Last week Hagerty's quoted 395 pounds with a 1000 excess to insure each car for the tour.  While we don't have experience with insurance companies in the UK this price seems a bit steep.  Any help or thoughts from Triumph folks would be greatly appreciated (and probably compensated with pints and quarts).  Thanks!

Before some asks, I have been in contact with Joe.  I use Hagerty and my car has allways been kept in England.  Now that price has been brought up, how much should one pay (per year) for a 72 Dolomite 1850 with a 2L engine?  I have complete England and Europe brakedown coverage.  The price Joe was quoted is about what I pay per year. (Never had that 1,000pound part)  I do have a high agreed value on the car. ( I also use Hagerty for all my classics here)   I can also add or delete drivers with no cost up to six total.  Here drivers have to be 25, their have to be 29?   The other thing I like about Hagerty is that the know what the RBRR and 10CR are and have no problem with entry.  

I also told Joe to check with other American Classics Companys to see if they will insure us overtheir.

Your system is very different than ours.  Here in Maryland you could register a car in your name as long as you had a valid Maryland address to receive renewal and the like. (example you could use mine) Not sure who would insure you, insurance is a must to obtain reg plates.  our plates belong the the owner not the car and can be transfered when you buy and new car.   As for England, my Dolomite does not have my name on the V5.  However Hagerty knows I am the real owner.  No problem with Hagerty.  Our proof of ownership is also quite different than yours.  Then each of the 50 states have different rules.  Now what is legal in England, I do no know?  If push came to shove i could register the Dolomite here and send the reg plates over to be put on the car.  Hagerty would be ok with that also.  Of course I do not know how long England would allow me the keep the car in country with US tags.  Only benefit to me, NO MOT or TAX disk needed ever.  Maryland unlike some states has no MOT unless the car changes owners or is stoped for a violation.  Our tags have to be renewed every 2 years and a new little sticker is placed on the rear tag.  

As for insurance just for the run, I would assume some would charge the same or more than a full year.  You insurance guru's would know?

Now if any of you want to bring a car over and leave it for a while, I can work that out with you so their would be no problems as long as you had insurance.  Sorry I just don't have the room to store it inside.  One reason I sold the Land Rover.

Definitely steep, my classic insurance went down again this year with Peter James. Now £87 with a £100 excess, fully comp, unlimited mileage, European wide breakdown cover and an agreed value of nearly £7K on a GT6. Seems that trying to insure a car over here when you are not a resident makes it at least  4 x more expensive and as for the excess £1000 is ridiculous!#

To put it into perspective, I insure a 2 year old BMW for less than you are being quoted on your Triumph's and with an excess of £150....

Hummmm, I just might look around to see if I can spend less.  As some here know I had to use Hagerty once. Last 10CR for windscreen replacement.  They let me choose who I wanted, and even repaid me for the temp plexiglass we had installed in Switzerland.

NOW back to topic, Anyone able to help my fellow countrymen?  

Colin's idea sounds good to me Joe. Pat Barber co-drove my 4A on the last  Round Britain Run. I am insured with Peter James (www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk) and they added him to my policy just for the duration of the event. There was no charge but I did have to accept a £1000 excess to apply whilst Pat was driving. This is apparently usual for any driver not holding a full UK licence irrespective of their driving record.

Really looking forward to meeting you guys in September. I am sure you will all have a blast, the 10CR is a great driving and social event.

Tim