Castle Combe Classic & Sportscar Action Day

Mad Mart

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=CompsandTours,m=1149892770,s=14 date=1150634263]I imagine the 2000 was James Elliott of C&SC- was it light green with a black roof?[/quote]

Yes, I believe it was that car.

Sorry Chris, spent all day with you & didn't even mention it.   :B Thanks for the rides in Tara & hope you engoyed the "spin" in mine.

As stated earlier; I had a great day. Rather tiring; but, plenty of 'Red Bull' kept me from wilting in the summer heat. But it did catch up with me once I'd got home.

My lap times were nowhere near as impressive as Martin's and I only managed to shave one second off my previous best at 1:37; mainly because I was being a little cautious after just fitting the vented brake setup, and they hadn't done enough miles to 'bed in' properly, added to the fact that my overdrive decided to give up the ghost half way through my second session, so that messed up my already amateur gear selections; AND after a visit to the rolling road last Monday and got the carburation set up properly (finally); my power band and peak torque were/are in a completely different place to what they were before - so I spent most of the time in too high a gear coming out of bends.

Anyway; it was a good education and I'll be trying a few things differently next time out, and I'm hoping to improve my lap times further on September 4th ! If not before ? I think some different tyres might help too - I was seriously impressed at how Martin's car stuck to the road on the '032's - my ADVANs were squeeling quite a bit, and I think that may also be a factor in my easing off a bit on some bends - I figure if they're starting to squeel; they're not far off 'letting go' ?!

Likewise Martin; thanks for the rides in your 'smokey oven' ;) (my temperature guage never gets above about two-thirds up the guage  :P - perhaps I'm not revving her hard enough ? ::) Between us; Martin and I shared 8 sessions out on track taking turns in our respective passenger seats with stopwatch in hand. My 'new' brakes are definitely bedded in, now  8); so it's just a case of my building up my confidence in them and seeing how long I can leave it approaching bends.

Sam's pictures are not overly impressive (bless her); but here's a couple of the best:-

Archived