Velocita Rosso

After months of phone calls to Donington to enquire of dates for 2009, they have today released the only two dates available
No cheap winter rates , as previous, but the only two dates released are 1st and 15th March
The first date being too close( for  our group) to the second date as the Chinese rally in Holland is on that weekend
They are working a month at atime this year obviously waiting for the commencement date for track mods for the F1
The cost? £145.00 per car (ten% discount for ten cars)
Not this year methinks

Mike

michael_charlton wrote:

They are working a month at a time this year obviously waiting for the commencement date for track mods for the F1
Mike

That's of interest, in view of Ron Dennis' remarks last week:
"But I really do struggle to understand how the economics of Donington will work. They have had a 25% swing in the dollar and the contract will be a dollar-based contract. It has got a massive investment into infrastructure."
See: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72692

I'd say that they are struggling for the capital to start the enormous modifications demanded by Bernie Eccleston.
If Donington fails to deliver, then Bernie will have a dozen other countries dying to stage an F1, with loads-a-money to do it with, and it's goodbye, British GP.  Maybe that's what he wants - less hassle.

John

Still no one has asked or queried about the state of the track surface after the aviation fuel that is exhausted from jets at the nearby East Midlands Airport is dumped over the surface.

I did a TD in 05 at Donnington and found it to be a problem.

John,
Have you experienced issues like this at DP?

timbancroft61 wrote:
aviation fuel that is exhausted from jets at the nearby East Midlands Airport is dumped over the surface.

I did a TD in 05 at Donnington and found it to be a problem.

And we all thought the handling problems were due to the boat anchor you had a passenger.

No photo this time :)

Done remarkably little driving @ Donington;  only came off once, in a spectacular (aren't they all?) spin at McLean's.  (Now I'll have to turn around three times and throw salt over my shoulder).   Can't say that it's any slipperier than, say, Silverstone, and there are two corners where you can get up to almost full speed before having to brake like crazy - the Esses Chicane and Redgate (beginning and end of S&F straight).  It's not particularly slippery at those points, IMHO.

John

It seems rather strange that the pits and paddocks are supposed to be only just finished, using this as an excuse for no february dates. Having asked the question of Donington " Is there any track work under way?" and the answer was No not yet. To my minds eye theres not a lot of time to put the new layout down before F1 season. I bet that it does not happen .Also think of all the lost revenue in other events like rock concerts etc that Donington will miss.Mind you, thinking of The Prince of Darkness ....BE might be the replacement

Mike

timbancroft61 wrote:
Thanks, Kev!

Unfair to blame Mr Foreman for my poor driving, surely a good driver should be able to allow for all conditions. Still his bulk was noticeable.

In defence of Mr Foreman, I did many laps of Donington with him in my passenger seat and as lap times got progressively more exciting I can only conclude he is a positive influence.

Donington is one of my favorite circuits.  It flows, has reasonable run offs, is reasonable to get to and in my humble opinion can be driven confidently.  I'd like us to go back there, preferably when its dry, but I don't mind wet.

What is the view on Donington, also Croft, which is near Darlington.

Cheers, Chris

Ah, but you were driving your Saab, FWD and all that.

I caused the spin that I had by not driving smoothly, the reason being a Caterham came out of nowhere and I had to change my line. I must add that the Caterham was fully entitled to take the line he did as he was sooooo much faster that me.  
Must admit though I did not enjoy the TD as I spent all my time either looking in my mirror for faster cars (The TD was an 'Open Pitlane' type of event and all manner of cars were present) or driving around on tip toe.

I imagine Donington in the dry would be superb. Unfortunately for me, I am not Senna!

Archived